Sunday, June 22, 2008

Toward revival

On Saturday evening, we spoke of the need for revival, both in our personal lives (possibly) and in our corporate existence as a family or local fellowship or the bigger, broader church (again possibly). I include the qualification of possibly because it does not make logical sense that we are in constant need of revival--though I would definitely argue that we are in constant need of some sanctifying tweaking, eh?

Anyway, I noted in the teaching that while revival is laid out biblically as God-initiated (and why not if He is fully sovereign?), there are various sowing activities that we should be engaged in doing in order to prepare for His reviving work. These were as follows:

- Repent, turning from sin to Christ (Acts 3:19-20)

- Dig into the Word of God (Psalm 119:25)

- Press on to know the Lord (Hosea 6:3)

- Humble yourself (James 4:10)

- Wait for the Lord (Isaiah 40:30-31a)

- Renew your mind (Romans 12:2)

- Pray for revival (James 5:17-18)

Because it is God who initiates revival, we cannot determine whether all of these, none of these, or some of these are required before He begins a reviving work--I would argue that only humble repentance is absolutely necessary--nor can we determine how much of each might be needed; we can only begin the work in faith that He will move according to the timing and pace of His master plan.

QUESTIONS FOR THOSE WHO MAY WISH TO COMMENT
As with the earlier post on miracles, I think we would do well here to engage in a more personal discussion.
- Which of these sowing activities presents the greatest challenge for you? Why? How can other believers help you in this endeavor?
- What has been the great benefit of a season of revival for you in the past? What would be a real benefit (hope) for you now if you are awaiting a season of revival in your life?
- As I noted on Saturday, Jonathan Edwards wrote that Christians ought "to be endeavoring in all possible ways to inflame their desires and to obtain more spiritual pleasures." Can you offer us other "possible ways" from Scripture that we may inflame our desires for Christ?

34 comments:

Rick Leland said...

Here's something that might interest you.

Rick Leland said...

Here's something that might interest you.

prepareforrevival.blogspot.com/

Elizabeth said...

It is challenging for me to maintain my Christian worldview at times in the midst of "living in the world." Therefore renewing of the mind is always needed for me to see people and situations as the Lord does, as it really is. My Christian family can remind me that God is in control and involved in our world, our lives, and that would encourage me a lot. Reading Scripture puts me in touch with reality, and reminds me how God feels about people and His great purposes for everyone, mainly that we would acknowledge Him in everything(at the least) and serve Him fully.

Anonymous said...

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited for you all at TFH! As you have probably become aware I am a big believer in revival. I want you to know I am praying that God will bless you all with the gale of the Holy Spirit blowing revival through your church.
I have been privileged to be a part of revival. It has changed me forever and I am truly grateful to God for this.I fully encourage these steps you are taking, and shall join in with you.
I think one of the greatest fruits of revival is it gets us back in the game. As the Lord imparts His Spirit to us, the tendency is to start giving it out to others outside the walls of the church. I remember testimonies of ordinary people praying for others with extraordinary results. To see their faith grow, and their spirits come alive and soar is one of my fondest memories.
In closing,this morning when I read this blog, I thought about hurricane Katrina. I remember a news story about all these yachts in a marina. Some had chosen to tie up their boats tightly to the docks with reinforced rope and even steel cables. What happened when Katrina hit is it beat the boats against the dock with such force they were splintered,broken,and sunk. Other boat owners completely removed their boats from the dock and reinforced the anchoring systems choosing to let the boats ride the waves of the storm in the open. Most of these boats did not sink.
When the strong winds of revival blow through your church, hanging on to old traditions, and what we perceive as safe places may actually do more harm than good. Let the winds come, and see the places God will take you, reinforce your anchor with prayer and your bible..the ride might be a little bumpy, but in the end instead of sinking, you will soar!

amy said...

I agree, Elizabeth, staying connected to other Christians is essential for me too. I find that my life (both physical and spiritual) is seasonal. The highs of Easter morning and the lows of Good Friday come and go, but being part of a family of believers helps keep the straight-and-narrow in view. We help bound each other in to righteous living.

I don't know if there's anything more difficult in my life than letting other people know me, really know me, and then resisting the impulse to run away in shame. Staying in community is a biggie for me. I don't give myself the option (anymore) to ditch relationships as soon as they get too close for comfort. That's when the good stuff (real love, real acceptance, real forgiveness, real accountability, real life) gets to happening. It hurts, sometimes a lot, but I don't want to miss out on real life anymore.

I also really appreciate the idea of conversatio, used by St. Benedict to describe his vow to undergo daily conversion. It is the daily repentance from "all that might obscure one's clarity of intent and confuse one's resolve" (Thomas Merton, 1966). I don't do it so well, but I try. My inability, to do what is right, is the main reason I am so grateful for God's mercy. He knows how frail I really am.

Reival often comes through pain, sometimes in pleasure. If God brings highs or lows is really not up to me. I just keep walking, doing the best I can with the tools I have, and leave the bigger picture to the one who has the whole thing in view.

amy said...

If you don't usually check older threads, please hop over to "The Individual Call of God" I retracted my last post, as I believe it could be divisive. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

If this applies great, if not just toss it out. I saw a picture this morning and I thought I would share it. It was a group of people standing around a picture that they had all had a part in drawing...the picture was in black and white something like an uncolored picture in a coloring book. Jesus approaches and asks to look at the picture. He views it, nods, and smiles. He then asks "May I color the picture?"..and after some moments is given permission to do so.Jesus pulls out the most vibrant coloring crayons and begins to color the picture. After a few moments Jesus asks if He may color outside the lines. Some agree, but some do not and begin to back away from the picture. Finally the leader of the group steps forward and says yes. Jesus begins to furiously color, and colors begin exploding off the picture, and a loud noise coming from the crayons themselves. Suddenly other people begin to come into the room, people who were not originally part of the group of people who drew the picture. These people all have the same characteristic, they are black and white just like the picture was in the beginning. As the become curious they draw closer to the picture, and as they get closer the exploding colors begin to land on them and they begin to become clothed in the most beautiful vibrant colors. This group turns into a multitude as this happens. But there is still a smaller group that continues to back away until they can no longer be seen...I claim no spiritual prophetic insight in this, I just saw this as i was having some quite time. It reminded me of what can happen when God begins to pour out His Spirit in a place.

Kim Becker said...

I was just looking at another blog that said,

"How can I inflame my desires for God?
First, God promises in his New Covenant that he will re-create the hearts of his people so that we love him and want to obey him. The deepest desire of every born-again follower of Christ is to love and please God! (See Jeremiah 31:31–34 or Ezekiel 36:22–32.)
The New Covenant promises that we already have rightly ordered desires. God already has given us everything that we need to love him with all of our hearts and to willingly obey him.
I'm the problem, not God.
So, what's wrong? Answer: My sin! Sin disorders my desires."

(Those were not my words, but food for thought here. Feel free to tear it apart if you want.)

This made me think of a conference I went to many many years ago and Dean Sherman was speaking and said something like, "God has already done all that needed to happen for us to abide with him and be seated beside him." (That's an extremely loose and possibly wrong paraphrase), but the gist is true.
So what happened? Why do I need or want revival? Why don't I just abide in Him always? I think it's true that sin disorders my desires. So I look to scripture to see how to get back on track, or how "inflame my desire" in Him once again.

"Seven times a day I praise you for your righteous laws." (Psalm 119:164)
or
"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." (1 Thess. 5:16-18)

I think the answer is to focus, focus, focus!
Phil 4:8–9: “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable — if anything is excellent or praiseworthy — think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me — put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you."

A great benefit of a season of revival for me in the past was joy and peace in the season, knowing deep in my being that I am loved so by God. I still know this in my head, and always will, but in my season of revival it was almost a tangible thing. It's hard to describe. I suppose that's what I might hope for again though, to know deep down that I am God's beloved, and that I would be changed forever because of it, that I would love those around me with that same godly love at all times and that I would live smothered in joy and peace.

I must confess that I sometimes don't think it's possible to live on earth in the manner I described, but that I will only really live like that in heaven someday. I will continue to hope. My hope is in Him!

amy said...

Kim,
Maybe the answer is re-focus, re-focus, re-focus.

There is definitely a tension in the scripture between resting and working. I resist the working end of the spectrum. I believe that work is part of the plan. I'm not afraid to work. I just don't know how to balance it all out. Working leads so easily into workism. On the other hand, resting slippery-slopes into gracism. Neither one makes the whole picture without the other.

I love the Philippians text. What beautiful and inspirational words. Romans 7.24 (which is always strangely encouraging) speaks to the problem with equal power, but less beauty. "Wretched man that I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?" (NRSV). What an image!

That whole section of scripture (Romans 7.14-8.25) makes a lot of sense to me in relation to your thoughts. We are stuck in this predicament, a kind of no-man's land, between heaven and earth. And Paul exhorts us to hang in there. First he describes our problem: All this pain and suffering we feel, over our own persistent wretchedness more than any outside persecution, is agonizing. It tortures us like the pains of childbirth (8.22-23), causing us to groan and beg for relief. Next, he tells us to keep faith (8.24-25), in very closely related terms to the Hebrews text we were recently discussing (vs. 11.1). In other words, we're not doing anything wrong because we struggle. This is how life in Christ actually is. Romans 8.14-17 tells us that we suffer with Christ because we are his co-heirs (and co-sufferers) "so that we may also be glorified with him" (NRSV).

We don't throw in the towel (Rom 6.1-2) because it's so hard to stay on track. No way! At the same time, we realize that we are in a season of suffering, of "not yet." The worst part is, if feels indefinite. But, we just have to keep repenting, keep asking for conversion/renewal/revival/new life. Re-focus, re-focus, re-focus.

Food for further thought on this subject. Of Stevie Wonder: "He lives his disabledness to the fullest" (Will Stone, June 25, 2008).

Aquila,
You shared some strong imagery. You didn't give any interpretation. I'm interested in what you think it means.

Kim Becker said...

Re-focus. Very true. If I have lost my focus I need to re-focus. It is a constant battle. Work is part of the plan. As Paul said to the church in Philippi: "Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed - not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence - continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose." (2:12-13)
Hmm... Sounds like God does the work in us as we work out what he has done for us. Wow. That takes some of the pressure off, huh?

amy said...

I like the way you read that piece from Philippians. It does take the pressure off to know what we are responsible for, and are not responsible for.

Taking the pressure off is what I was driving at with the "re" prefix. It's helpful to realize that failure (as much as we hate it, and rightly so) is expected. It's our lot right now. So, when we lose focus, we don't say, "Stupid-stupid-stupid" (slapping forehead), but "Woops! Wrong way. Turn around. Let's try again ... and again ... and again ..." It's part of the rhythm of life this side of heaven.

There's probably a golf metaphor applicable here.

Anonymous said...

The group is the church, the picture is the compilation of what the group feels the church should look like. The colors are the life Jesus brings to the church. The coloring outside the lines is God refining the picture the way He wants it. Those backing up are those who reject these changes, and the multitude are those who God adds to the church daily as he fills them with life abundantly.And sometimes it gets a little messy, but God is OK with that.

amy said...

Which church do you refer to? The church universal, or a specific fellowship of believers?

What changes, in your opinion, is the church resisting?

Anonymous said...

Honestly I was just sharing what I saw..,and again I do not claim it is prophetic spiritual insight. So in this case I don't know.
As for what change might be resisted, changing the way we think things should be done, I find most resistance to change often comes from those who draw the picture, the decision makers. But again, I don't know.

Kim Becker said...

Aquila, (this post is in response to all posts and conversations here with this general blog)

What is your hope for what the Church might look like, or perhaps more specifically, what TFH might look like? Is it your opinion that the majority of the church is too passive? Would you like to see aggressive use of giftings? For instance, would you like someone to stand up and suggest that the body all pray for anyone who is in need of healing? Is it your opinion that perhaps there are people who are being prompted to do such a thing, but are "resisting" God's leading, and are disobedient to His desire? Or do you think we should be doing that whether or not God has prompted specifically at that moment, that we are all called to pray for healing because we are called to love and praying for someone is an act of love, and therefore we should always pray for healing at every corporate gathering?
It seems you feel the church is not operating as you feel God wants it to, and you are trying very hard to therefore prompt change. And from what you have said, it seems you feel it should start with the leadership. What would that look like to you?

Or am I not understanding where you are coming from?

Anonymous said...

You are not understanding where I am coming from, enough said. If you are happy with what is going on then I am happy for you. Its your church, and my hope is its everything you and Jesus both want it to be. And I don't for one second pretend to know what that is.. sorry if I offended you in any way...I just get overexcited sometimes when people start talking revival.

amy said...

I get excited about revival too! What could be better than being revived and seeing others revived. I love it, and I want more of it. I told Jesus I would follow him, the first time, over 33 years ago. I can say that I have been through many seasons with the Lord. Some are desert dry. Some are lush and green and in full-bloom, like late in the Spring before the wilting Summer heat comes.

Often, no matter how I feel during each season, I don't see the purpose in it until much later. I can honestly say that times of suffering, when I thought I would die from heartache, are more precious to me than the times of exuberance.

The growth that has happened, for me, in the "good" times has been worthwhile. They have encouraged me and allowed me to rest. They feel easy and pleasant, refreshing. I need times like those.

The growth that has happened during the lonely, dry desert times, while painful at the time, has resulted in way-down-deep faith development. These times have developed the I know, that I know, that I know security in my God and my identity in Christ.

I need refreshing, I am so grateful for the happy times. And I am grateful for the seeming starvation of the valley of the shadow of death. I wouldn't trade what I have from those times for anything in the world.

My point is, revival comes in all the seasons. It doesn't look one way or another. It is the constant, persistent, eternally active power of the Holy Spirit that revives us every day.

Do I pray for starvation and pain? Do I pray for times of refreshing? I pray that God's will is done. I have faith that he knows where he's going and what he's doing with my life, in the life of the church, and in all of creation.

How is revival related to evangelism, or outpourings (if that term is biblical), or signs and wonders? I don't have a concrete answer to that. I do know that we all need revival, in whatever form it comes, and we would do well to remain available to God for whatever he wants to do.

Kim Becker said...

Aquila,
You did not offend me. And I too am sorry if I offended you. BUT, I do not feel it is "enough said." I truly do want to understand what it is that you envision for the Church. If I am misreading you, and respond to you from out in left field, I do not feel we are truly communicating. I wish to understand you, not so I may argue with you, but so that I can better appreciate your point of view.

Anonymous said...

I watched the florida revival last night. Awesome worship for 2 hours, during which God was doing wonderful things in peoples hearts. Then a testimony from a man who got saved on the streets. They have trained 8000 people to go out on the streets and witness. These 8000 are praying for people, and people are getting saved, healed,filled with the spirit etc, etc. Then they showed a picture of a woman who was the wife of news photographer for the Los Angelos Times. She had come from mexico, where she was recieving treatment for cancer stage 4 that had started in her pancreas and spread to several other organs and was now in her bone marrow also. The insurance documents gave her days, maybe weeks to live. The picture of her getting prayer 3 weeks ago on stage there showed an emaciated woman, and very pale. The Dr had just sent her medical records along with his new findings, weight gain, muscle mass returning, and no cancer found anywhere in her body. There were two more testimonies like this, again with medical records showing terminal illness healed. They showed a picture of this same lady today, her face filled in and full of color, smiling, eyes full of light. The crowd went crazy.
Todd Bentley spoke about a big God, One who can do exceedingly above,and beyond what we can ask. He told how the Lord had told him there would be 4 specific miracles and these were to be a sign that a vision God had given him was true. All 4 happened as people with 4 different ailments, deafness, blindness, a mute, and a lame person were prayed for. There were alot of people prayed for, many claimed healing after. Then He shared what God had told him several years ago...Isaiah 35. And He spoke about all this leading to holiness, a highway of holiness, and the Glory of the Lord fell in that place...and in my living room too I might add. It was a thick heavy presence that I could feel come down in my living room.
It seems as I get older more and more of my friends are getting sick. Some of them cant afford healthcare, and they are thrown into the medi-cal multitude. One of the most common things they say is that no one cares. The insurance company wants the most inexpensive treatment, the dr sees them as another case, not as a person, with value, just one of the masses.
These are good people, my friends are good people, and they feel hopeless, and nobody cares. I love my friends, and I know their only hope is God. I read my bible and in it are wonderful promises from God. Promises my friends need to hear, and hope restored. Its important to me to believe in those promises, believe enough to act, and its even more important that God comes through. But sometimes He is not given the opportunity, because no one prays, and faith is no where to be found.
"Strengthen the feeble hands, steady the knees that give way, say to those with fearful hearts, "Be strong, do not fear, your God will come. He will come with vengeance, with divine retribution,He will come to save you." Then...... and what follows is revival.
I think thats a pretty good picture of church, and just one reason why revival is much needed.

amy said...

It is indeed wonderful when the sick are made well. It is even better when people come to the saving knowledge of Christ. It sounds like you were encouraged by testimonies of both kinds. Wonderful!

amy said...

I'm curious, Aquila. Where do you fit into this picture. You clearly "believe enough to act," but then you say that "no one prays" and "faith is nowhere to be found." I presume that you have faith. You have stated so in almost every one of your posts and I do not doubt your word. I also presume that you pray for healing. That must be obvious to all of us here. So, I'm having a hard time understanding how God "is not given the opportunity" to heal your friends. You have the necessary faith and are praying for them. What am I missing here?

I'm also curious about another statement that you make. You say that it's important that you pray in faith for healing, and "its even more important that God comes through." I guess I need clarification on this one. I'm not sure how to read it, and I don't want to jump to conclusions.

Anonymous said...

why do i feel like a black dot on a white piece of paper

amy said...

Are you thinking that you are unwanted in the conversation here? I really enjoy your contributions. It is clear that some of us who post do not agree with everything you say. It is also clear that we do agree on a lot of it.

As to the disagreements, I suppose we could be considered "opponents" on different sides of a friendly debate. The following quotes are from a series of books called Opposing Viewpoints. Each volume focusses on a single topic and includes dozens of commentaries from a wide variety of voices. All viewpoints are treated as equally valid and it's up to readers to make up their own mind. I don't think I can improve upon the words in their introduction, so I'll let them stay as they are (I edited for length).

"Those who do not know their opponent's arguments do not completely understand their own"

"It is not difficult to find differing points of view. The difficulty lies in deciding which opinion to agree with and which ... is most credible. Most people form their opinions on the basis of upbringing, peer pressure, and personal, cultural, or professional bias. ... Careful examination of others' views can lead to the reader's understanding of the logical inconsistencies in ther own opinons, perspective on why they hold an opinion, and the consideration of the possibility that their opinion requires further evaluation. ... The opinion of an ordinary person ... may be just as valuable and provide just as much insight as ... [the opinion of a] professional. ... It is only by reading or listening to and objectively evaluating others' ideas that one can determine whether they are worthy of consideration. ... Those with whom one disagrees should not be regarded as enemies but rather as people whose views deserve careful examination and may shed light on one's own. ... Thomas Jefferson once said that 'difference of opinion leads to inquiry, and inquiry to truth.' ... It is imperative that we consider the opinions of others and examine them with skill and discernment."
(Bender & Leone,1998)

I assure you, I have learned much from reading and responding to your words. I appreciate that you are here, making me think carefully about what I really believe. I think that's called iron sharpening iron.

Kim Becker said...

Aquila,
Thanks for sharing.
But I wonder what you envision for a small community of believers, like TFH is. How does a small group of believers act out your vision? You have said that you "find most resistance to change often comes from those who draw the picture, the decision makers." What does this resistance look like to you? Or what does a lack of resistance look like? What do you feel the leadership should be doing differently in order to be open to what God wants to do or to be accepting of him drawing outside the lines?

Anonymous said...

Amy,Thank you for your kind words about our sharing, they are much appreciated.
Im not sure where I fit, except to say my hope is in God and so I continue to pray. To be honest I dont see the kind of results I hope for, but I do continue because God is listening. I can not speak for your church, only mine, and in it prayer seems to have been turned into a feel good lip service. A good example of that is a lady who needs healing, but instead of asking God to heal her, prayers of peace, and wisdom for the surgeons are offered up. I believe in peace, and doctors, but why not just ask God to heal her? But let me also confess I asked God to heal her and He did not, but she did have a fairly successful surgery. Part of my frustration may be I am advocating something I have not seen alot of success with (prayer).Still I cant see Jesus, Peter,or Paul praying for the dr. to have wisdom.
Kim, I envision revival. It is basically an individual choice, but it only takes one match to start a roaring fire. A small group or big, it starts with a desire for more. A realization that you are not content with what you have, and a belief that there is more. In any move of God that I have been witnessed the word I heard over and over was hungry, you had to get hungry for more of God. Then there was repentance, those things that one had to admit were not aiding their relationship with God, and a willingness to give them up in hopes of a greater relationship with Him. And then there was prayer, just speaking what you wanted to God, and being passionate about it. And commitment to the cause of revival, we will do what ever it takes(within biblical foundation of course) It only takes one person to make this transition, and revival can be birthed. To be honest most revivals have started with one person who had a breakthrough, and then carried it to others. I think God finds a person He can use, and jumps at the opportunity. (Im not saying God needs us here...im just saying He seems to use whom He can to the extent they will let Him.) Leadership, like human nature is naturally resistant to change. Most change in my life usually came after my ability to keep things the same wore down, in other words I couldn't take it anymore so I sought change.
The tricky thing is you never quite know what revival is going to look like,and for some that is a scary feeling. So one may try to control it,and make it happen a certain way. Nothing wrong with that as long as its God's way. Usually though its not God's way, and either the person gives God complete freedom to have His way.. or God does something else.
When I read Jeff's original post, I would have to say at this point your leadership is right on. There is an openness to God. There is also some very good direction towards the goal. Usually resistance starts about the day after revival hits.

Kim Becker said...

Don’t be shy about praising God that the woman’s surgery was successful. Sometimes I think God wants us to walk through something to find healing rather than giving instant healing. I don’t know why. I would love for him to heal every person that has been prayed for and believes in faith that they will be healed. But that’s not always the way he works. One time my dad was having serious issues with his shoulder and needed surgery. My husband and I had been witness to many miraculous healings at that time and felt that we should go lay hands on him and pray for healing. Why wouldn’t God want to extend that type of healing to my family? My father is a strong believer also. So Chris and I went and prayed and laid hands and anointed him with oil I think, too. There was no miraculous healing. But my father sat there crying and said that he didn’t even care if he wasn’t healed. He was so blessed at what God was doing in Chris and I and the amount of faith we had and our show of love for him, that this was a wonderful faith builder for him. He really seemed to feel God’s love. But he also said that maybe his faith just wasn’t great enough and that’s why he wasn’t healed. I don’t think that’s the case. I think sometimes God just uses other methods to bring healing. His surgery was also fairly successful. So I thank God for the chance to extend love to my dad and for bringing him through surgery with good results. Will I pray for miraculous healings again? Yes. I press on in faith and still believe that God heals that way.

However, I would say that I could see Jesus praying for the Dr. to have wisdom and a steady hand, etc. I have no doubt that God has called some to be doctors and has equipped them to bless others with their skill in healing. Saying healing should only come one way seems to be putting God in a box again. And it negates the call of many faithful believers who dedicate their lives to helping others through being a doctor. It leads us down the path of faith healers. I knew a great man of immense faith that died because he opted to only pray for healing rather than go to a doctor. I know that God knew he would do that and chose to take him anyway, and maybe that was God’s plan all along. I don’t know. I don’t question the sovereignty of God there, and I rejoice that my (spiritual) brother is driving circles around God now ☺ but he may still be with us today if he had seen a doctor as well as pray for healing.

As for what you envision, I would say that we are alike in many ways with what we want. I have been frustrated by dryness in myself and in the body. For months I have been praying for God to “stir up his zeal”(Isaiah 42:13) and ignite the body and bring life and excitement and joy in Him to all of us. I will continue to cry out for more. But I feel like God showed me Proverbs 19:2: “It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way.” And I believe that God is still fully in charge of TFH and has a plan for us and works in his own timing. While I want to be revived NOW, God is working things out and I see so much growth in so many people from our body. I see his hand all over the place even in this dry time. He is building relationship and community and it’s a beautiful thing. So I am determined not to be too hasty as to miss the way, but to follow God in whatever he wants to do and whatever it looks like. I’m open. Bring it on God!

Kim Becker said...

Let me also say that I believe God is indeed stirring up his zeal even through this blog. We all seem to want God and all he has for us. We have all said that in one way or another. We perhaps just don't always agree on what it should look like. It seems like we have all put God in one box or another. I think we are all growing in knowledge, though. Praise God!

amy said...

Sometimes I forget how complicated language is. Think of the word "foot." You may automatically think of the body part. I may think of the unit of measure. Another person may think of the stubby chunks of wood that support their favorite chair. Even with the most literal definition (the body part), various people will associate different meanings (walking, kicking a ball, kicking a person, wearing shoes, chronic pain) and we can never know precisely what another person means to communicate, even if we can get close. We don't have the other person's internal world at our disposal, and only understand some of what they mean.

I think it's difficult for us to discuss "revival" because we don't really understand, let alone agree on, what others mean when they use the word. To complicate matters, the subject is both highly subjective and emotionally charged.

It might be helpful, in this discussion, to define how we each conceive of "revival." We might make more headway towards understanding if we define our terms.

1) Revival is literally about being revived, awakened, brought back to consciousness, or to life. In it's most extreme, it is the same as resurrection.

2) Used figuratively it can mean that some non-physical aspect of a person’s life that seemed dead before now seems alive. This is often a spiritual reality.

3) For one to be re-vived they must have first been "vived" (alive). In this sense, spiritual revival is for the believer. New birth, becoming alive for the first time, is for the unbeliever. As I see it, revival is a recurring theme of the Christian life. Believers do not die, once having been born of the Spirit, but we sometimes become spiritually blasé, ill, and even unconscious. Furthermore, we are all growing and need nudges. Brother Benet Tvedten writes, “There are no instant conversions” ( How to be a Monastic and not Leave your Day Job). As I see it, revival is the name of the game for believers.

4) Individual churches are vulnerable to all the same afflictions as individual believers. How could it be otherwise? Churches need revival. This is a normative and seasonal process. It does not always indicate a "falling away" but an expected reality in the life of the church. Israel experienced this routinely. It was a prophetic image that repeated over and over. Israel would grow, and then reduce to a remnant; grow and reduce to a remnant. The New Testament describes Israel as reduced to a remnant of one: Jesus. I don’t know why the church (local or universal) would be any different.

5) "A Revival" is something different. It’s an event. I admit that I have a bias against the term. That is not to say I doubt that real revival happens for individuals, and perhaps whole fellowships, as a result of revival events. I'm just not comfortable with the flavor of church as hoopla. By that I mean, most revival events I have been aware of, involved a lot of yelling, garish displays, dogmatic statements, and specific requirements (do this and that and God will give you a blessing). They also seem to require immediate external signs as proof. It sounds like “God on demand.” I resist this.

I visited a church once where the pastor instructed the congregation to close their eyes and hold out their hands. Then he said, "God will speak to you. I guarantee that God will speak to you now if you will listen with an open heart. He will speak specific things to you right now." I felt uncomfortable with the idea that I could demand a word from God. But, I had never been to a charismatic church before and knew that there was a lot I didn't know about God, so I gave it a shot. I held out my hands, I closed my eyes, and I asked God for a word. Nothing happened, complete silence. The pastor asked us all (about 20 seconds later) to testify to whether or not God had spoken. Confused and embarrassed, I sheepishly raised my hand with the others. My husband had the same experience. We never went back.

It took several years before we were willing to visit another charismatic church. Eventually we started attending one regularly. A few months later, our senior pastor announced a seminar on the gift of tongues. Still sure that there was plenty I didn't know about God, I went to the seminar full of expectation. I listened intently and believed what the pastor taught. After the teaching, we were instructed to come forward if we wanted to receive the gift of tongues.

I went eagerly. I just knew that God would give me this excellent gift. All I needed to do was pray with faith and receive the gift. Elders laid hands on me and prayed. Then they spoke in tongues and instructed me to do the same. They told me to start babbling any old thing, as an invitation to God. Then the Holy Spirit would know my willingness and take over, forming my words. One of the elders even told me to repeat after her own sounds. I tried it. I felt like a liar, but trusted that I had to do this in order to be faithful. I was ashamed at my fakery and my failure.

After that, I regularly attempted to speak in tongues for several years, knowing that I was only making noises of my own accord. I asked God to give me the gift many times, but in reality, I was a fraud and I knew it. I finally repented and have not "spoken in tongues" for at least 10 years. I was so relieved when I gave that up. I am still open to this gift, but I won't force it. God would have to do something undeniable in my heart. By the way, both churches I refer to are large and well respected in this area, from two international charismatic denominations.

When people start talking about a revival I am reminded of those, and other times. When I have gone to an event, fully expecting God to move, and if nothing happens I am left to wonder what's wrong with me. Why didn't God give me what he gave, seemingly, everyone else? I think others, hungry and willing, must also experience this.

I write all of this to communicate why my views may sound conservative on the issue. I am fully in favor of individual revival. It happens every day, all over the world. I am also very skeptical of revivalism, which smacks of exclusivity (We have “it” and others don’t), superiority (How sad, If only you had enough faith, like us), and arrogance (Watch this! We can make God perform here and now).

That said, I also believe God can do a massive work all at one time. The Bible tells us of events when hundreds believed in one day. Cornelius’ whole household believed at once. Furthermore, we are told that one day every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. I don’t know how that will look, but it sure sounds like en masse revival.

amy said...

As though I haven't posted enough tonight, I would like to comment on my last comment :)

My definitions are up for your consideration, not as the plumb line for this conversation.

Anonymous said...

I want more of God. I want to hear Him more, feel Him more, smell Him more, no matter what it is, as long as it has to do with Him, I want more. He has been very kind to me lately and has shown me some things that need to change in my life. And He has promised me that He will help me repent. He also is desiring to pour into me, but He needs to shake a few things out of me to make room. It seems to me we all have a volume level, its just a matter of what we are full of. The thing I am beginning to see is He wants it for us more than we do..He just has to wait for us to be ready to make room for more of Him. So no more little white lies, no more selfish ambition, no more questionable tv shows, no more excuses why I didnt spend time with Him today. This revival for me is only about me being revived at this time.... that is my motivation. And I am very motivated because my rivers are dry, very dry.

Jeff said...

Aquila, it sounds to me like you are on the right track in seeking personal revival, which almost always includes some degree of repentance, even if it is only a turning from the routine we have been in for a long time. Routines build discipline; they also lead to staleness (good ol' tension again). Eagerly desire the fresh work of God in the midst of His ancient revelations of Himself.

Here is an interesting thing for you and probably all of us to consider. While we in North America have grown to look for revivals by watching for certain "manifestations" of the Holy Spirit when people are gathered in large groups before Him, I keep coming across examples (personally witnessed as well as in my reading) of what happens when God moves people from such places to go into the mission field (be it near or distant). The ensuing revivals they then see birthed (usually smaller scale and unpublicized) are rarely of this "hyperactive" sort. Rather, they are birthed in hard, sacrificial service (e.g., leaving a cushy job and home to live among street kids). When you say you want more of God "no matter what it is," I would encourage you to leave open the possibility of where God might move you physically so that He can do a wonderful spiritual movement in that place through you. And I would encourage the rest of us to be so moved as we are revived.

And I wonder after writing those words just now if this isn't the real reason revivals wane: we don't transfer what God has equipped us for into merciful action in His name. Maybe He gets tired of us waiting on Him when we should have long since been moving for Him. Maybe He gets tired of us gorging our souls and not bringing cups of water.

Kim Becker said...

I have been thinking a lot about repentance and surrender lately, and the difference between the two. I think they may accompany each other. I at least think you probably can't have repentance with out surrender. You might be able surrender without repenting, though. Like if I were to surrender my pride. I might be able to do that without repenting of being proud, but I'm not sure. I could even surrender myself as I am, but that doesn't mean I've repented of anything. Can you repent in action, but not in spoken words? Is it a heart issue?

The dictionary says to repent is "to feel or express sincere regret or remorse. But it really means to turn and walk the other way."
It says that surrender is "to cease resistance and submit, and/or to abandon oneself entirely to (a powerful emotion or influence); give in to."

I'd love to hear what some other people have to say about the relationship between these two words.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I had to surrender before I repented. I had to admit my way wasnt working, and surrender to another way. In surrendering the repentance came when I went the other way, only because doing it my way became to hard, and it wore me out...