Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Shack

It's about time, as many of you have read The Shack this month, to introduce a thread for discussion of this book. Doubtless, some of you read the article about the novel in this Saturday's Bee, which included more information about the author's life experiences and how they played into the novel, as well as reference to the fact that this book is not appreciated by all who read it--imagine that!

All the same, let's open the door here for conversation. An old acquaintance of mine used to open discussions such as this by going around the room and having each participant share a highlight from what they had read. Let's do that. Let's open the door for highlights. Feel free especially to quote excerpts from the book and add your comment (if the quote is long, you might just note the page in the book and the first few words).

As for me, while I had several passages that stood out especially for me, I was most of all struck by the fact that so much of what we think about God reveals little more than our own arrogance. We think we know so much. But when confronted with God Himself, we would (will) find ourselves in a much different position. Oh, we might still try to argue with God, to urge Him to consider our point of view, but His sovereignty trumps all, and we are reduced to our rightful position below Him. And yet He keeps drawing us back in a thousand creative ways to His intimate side. What a God! How much The Shack revealed that He truly is the God who knows us better than we know ourselves.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Something compelled me to purchase this book at church. I have come to realize that it must have been the Lord, as I have never read a "fictional" book that challenged my faith so much.
I had a hard time for awhile, about chapter 6 and the characterization given to some of the roles....I tend to be very traditional in some of my ways of thinking...and it caused me to "work through" a few chapters to allow myself to "get" the meaning.
Wow! is the best word I can come up with on how this book has proded me to think about how and when I forgive. The release and the growth that results from that.
How God literally wants me, whole heartedly for complete and full relationship with Him...WOW!
But I must first be free, not holding onto the baggage that I so desperatly hate, yet hold to. The realization that no matter how badly someone has hurt me, it hurt the Lord Himself too.....and that even though I was offened, He loves them too, just as much as He loves me.
As the book so perfectly states: "Forgiveness is not about forgetting,Mack. It is about letting go of another person's throat."
It would be like asking my dad to take my side against my siblings, and since I was hurt, leave them behind.......if my earthly father loves my siblings that much, how much more my heavenly Father!?!

In a nutshell, I loved this book!

Jeff said...

Thanks for your heart on this book, Jackie. Only you have written about it here, but many others have expressed to me how much this book challenged their thinking. You certainly can't go away from it holding proudly onto all your "nice, neat ideas" when God is so exceedingly superior in knowledge, understanding and love--as this book radically portrays Him to be.