Monday, June 9, 2008

So what is a miracle?

OK, let's have some fun. I'll give you the question right up front: What would classify as a miracle?

I ask this because it seems to me that the miraculous and God's sovereignty are more than a bit tangled up together.

For instance, would you say it is more of a miracle that a relative few people are inexplicably healed in cases where the doctors lack intelligence, or that hundreds of thousands of people are explicably healed because the doctors have intelligence (particularly intelligence that they did not have in Jesus' time, or even a hundred years ago)? After all, God is certainly not surprised that these doctors have intelligence; He gave it to them! Nor is He surprised that we now understand the science--which He also created--behind some of the occurrences that flabbergasted and "convinced" the people of Jesus' time.

And here's a corollary: does it take more faith to believe God for one of those amazing miracles, or more faith to believe that there is a God who is behind all the stuff that "the educated masses" write off to science? It seems to me both go against the tide of humanism, if that's the tide we're hoping to overcome--and boy, would that be a miracle if we could see that tide turn in the West!

So let's hear it. What's a miracle you have experienced or witnessed in your life? And how, if you can tell us, do you know that it was a miracle?

And let's make a ground rule for this one: you are not allowed to argue against or dismiss someone else's miracle(s). That would be like trying to tell someone they did not experience what they experienced. You just can't go there.

9 comments:

dlb said...

So what is a miracle? I believe that God gives us many miracles everyday. We must look for them though (Seek God and you will find Him) 1 Chron 28:9 because todays world of computer graphic movies and spectacular everything has deadened our sensitivity to seeing these small miracles or we have become so accustomed to everyday miracles that we take them for granted and overlook them. Seems like we seek the BIG and spectacular miracle to satisfy what we are looking for. For me years ago I seem to have it all. I could do anything and everything by myself without help from anyone.
Then why was I so miserable and unhappy inside? (dead) I kept trying to fix it and go on like nothing was wrong, then one day it all came crashing in on me and the only thing I could come up with was to talk to my father (dad) and he told me that my life was without God and that I should be looking to God for the answers. That day I gave my life to The Lord and He changed my heart and to this day I have not regretted that move and I never will go back to that life without Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. That is just one of the many miracles God has given and shown to me so far. I look for Him everyday all around us and in us.

Anonymous said...

That dlb is the greatest miracle

Rhonda said...

Well this looks like a good place to share Chuckie's story.

I've experienced lots of miracles in my life, big and small. But this one was pretty significant. I found myself expecting my 5th baby, and not real happy about it. I was overwhelmed with life at the time and a new baby just did not fit in it. I had a very hard time coming to terms with it and tried, for a while, to ignore it. Well that didn't last long! A few months into my pregnancy my midwife was very concerned about the baby's growth and requested I get an ultrasound. I wasn't feeling too concerned but I complied. That was a very difficult day for me as we found out that the baby we were expecting had some very serious problems with his kidneys. Suddenly this baby I was not accepting became number one priority for me and we were thrown into a medical world of tests and specialists. If any of you know me {a diehard homebirther who did not welcome "medical" intrusions} this was not an easy place to be. But all I cared about was my baby and whether or not he would survive and be ok.

I should share that at that point in my life I was not walking a very trusting walk with God. I had allowed past hurts to be an excuse to say "I love God but not some of His people". It had been several years since I had set foot in a church and I had no plans to do so anytime soon. All of a sudden I was in a desperate place and wouldn't you know it...God was sending His people into my life everywhere I went! {He's funny that way!}

Fast forward to Chuckie's birth day. With the doctors blessings we did have the homebirth, surrounded by very wonderful and caring people who prayed...a lot. He was stable and if he was going to have problems it wasn't going to happen immediately so further testing and any surgeries would not happen for a couple of weeks. The day he was born was a beautiful day. It was mid January but the sun was shining and it was just wonderful outside. He did very well and we were able to just enjoy him and have a couple of days of peace. We had not decided on a name and just could not agree. That afternoon we were looking at him and the name Christopher just came to me. Steve immediatley agreed that that was who he was. That name became even more significant later....I'll explain at the end of my story.

So the testing began. Some pretty awful ones too. Being a new mom it was very hard for me to watch and allow. There was so much fear surrounding us and I was terrified he was going to need surgery. We were working with some specialists in San Fransisco and they were collecting the results from Children's Hospital since there was not a specialist here at that time. We were still waiting when one day I had this very strong desire and need to get to church. I had no idea where to go when I remembered that my neighbor and friend {she was present at Chuckie's birth} had invited my older daughter to their church a few times. This was right in the middle of the renewal and I could see that what was happening to her was something different, but good. I called my friend late on a Saturday night and asked if I could join them in the morning. Her reaction was very quiet and welcoming, she later told me she hung up the phone and the whole family hooted and hollered!

I'm sure I don't need to tell you all that anything that could go wrong went wrong that night and I could have had a million excuses not to go that morning but I was determined. I got all of my kids there and found my place in the back of the room. I really enjoyed the service and felt welcomed and loved. At the end of the service the pastor started asking people if they had any words of knowledge to share. I had never seen anything like this and was very skeptical. You know...people with back problems, headaches, yadda yadda yadda. But then a women stood up and said "someone here is having problems with their kidneys and needs prayer". I stood there in disbelief at first, did I really just hear that? No one was walking forward, and believe me I waited long enough to make sure! So what else could I do but walk up to the pastor and tell him about my baby. Of course they all prayed for him and then I gathered my kids and we were on our way. No the sky didn't open up and angels didn't appear. But I felt different. Did I really just experience that? I questioned it for a long time. Surely someone must have told her about Chuckie and they're just a bunch of charletons with some gimmick. But I could not deny the feeling I had in my spirit. It was so strong that I went home and shared what happened with my disbelieving husband, the same man that years earlier told me if there was a God them prove it. I was surprised when he didn't question what I had told him and seemed open to what had happened.

Life continued with more tests scheduled. Then one evening a couple of weeks later I got a call from one of the SF doctors. He said that they could not explain it but my baby wouldn't need any more tests. He said that Chuckie's kidneys looked better, and that his right kidney was almost normal. While his left kidney was enlarged, as long as the right one was normal and he did not have any complications he should lead a normal life. I was shocked but I knew right away that that was no coincidence. Of course I contacted the church and of course they had me up front the very next Sunday morning to share our story but that's not the miracle.

I had a renewed relationship with my Jesus and His people were pretty cool too. But something was still missing, something needed to happen to make my family whole. While my husband did seem to accept our "miracle" he still wasn't about to go to church with us or have any involvement. At that time there was a play going on at Peoples Church and my daughter asked him to take her. That night something miraculous happened. My husband accepted Jesus as his Lord and Savior. Now my family was whole.

Yes Chuckie was healed, but that's not the miracle. I believe with every breath I take that God allowed all of that to happen so that my family would return to Him. One day weeks later I was reading through a baby name book and when I read what my sons name meant I literally had chills run down my back and just sat and wept tears of joy. Christoper means "bearer of Christ".

I should add here that Chuckie is ok today. He has to have occasional ultrasounds to make sure his left kidney continues to function since it does have some damage to it. But I think God has that all under control.

Elizabeth said...

A miracle is something powerful God does in one's life, usually something not able to be explained as a result of anything man-made(in simple terms) When I have experienced "a miracle" it usually turns me around in a completely different direction and tunes me into God's plan for me at that moment. It has included spontaneous healing a couple times(that was pretty amazing) and at other times I have seen the Lord come through for me at the 11th hour, literally(which proved to me I can trust Him and WAIT on Him). I agree though with dlb who gave an account of how God changed His heart---Wow---and keeps him on His path. I love it:)

amy said...

I used to think miracles were like supernatural magic tricks. Shazam! You're cured! They, by definition, righted some wrong in the natural realm, but were not by natural means. My definition is broader now.

Now, I see a miracle as something that undeniably points to God. It is an identifying mark from God's hand. Noah's rainbow was a miracle (called by the same word as the miracles God did in Pharaoh's court) that was a sign of the covenant between God and "all flesh on earth."

I see these markers every day. Has anyone here ever studied brain anatomy? What a miracle! If anything points to God, it's the wonder of creation itself. I can literally start to cry just thinking about it. I know, cornball.

Then, there's the miracle of the scriptures. Whoa! I spent all day today, studying one Greek word (I am not kidding, from 10:30-6). I am so fascinated by the intricate beauty of God's word. It is both simple and unfathomable. Its wisdom is accessible to all who read it, and far beyond the intellectual reach of any human person. I think it's a miracle that the Bible has been preserved for all this time. What a sign! What a wonder! The more I learn about it, the more deeply I worship the living God.

Okay, just one more.

Most of you know, I have five kids. The first three came one at a time. The last two are twins. When I had each of the older ones, I always had the distinct thought, "I am so glad this kid isn't a twin." Just the thought of nursing, burping, changing, rocking, and all the rest, for one baby, and then turning around and doing it for another, seemed like torture. I was not "down" with that idea. Well... God had a different plan for me than I had for myself.

God gave me twins. Where's the miracle? Well, after I became pregnant with them, I suddenly and inexplicably became enamored with the idea of having twins. I asked God to give me twins. You see, I had this crazy idea that I wanted to have five children. My husband, on the other hand, said, "After this, we are done. Four is my limit." But, God had different plans for him too.

So imagine me, praying for twins while I'm already pregnant. How silly is that? I'm ALREADY pregnant. It's pretty much a done deal at that point. When I found out that I was carrying two, I wasn't surprised. I already knew. I was so happy.

It wasn't until after they were born that I realized a miracle had happened. The miracle wasn't that God gave me twins. It was that God gave me the desire itself as a preparation for the difficulty that awaited me. It was extremely difficult to care for premature twins (oh yes, now I remember why I didn't want to have two at a time). But, I would often remember, in those bleary eyed times, that I had asked God with all of my heart for two babies. It was a huge comfort to me.

The miracle, the sign that undeniably pointed towards God, was that God prepared me, in a custom made way, for the challenges that were coming my way. In the midst of trouble, I was able to praise and thank God for the blessing of these babies. Trust me, THAT was a miracle :)

BethM said...

Well I believe I have received many miracles in my life, unexpected checks in the mail, meeting the right people at the right time, etc. There has always been something, a way for God to remind me He was still there I think.
The big miracle in my life in my life was the complete healing of my daughter. She had been having many problems with repeated strep infections that just wouldn't go away. She finally started to have symptoms of rheumatic fever which is all but extinct now in the day and age of antibiotics. She discussed this possibility with her doctor who did some more tests and it began to look like that was what she was dealing with. I insisted that she get an echocardiogram to look at her heart. One of the problems that can happen with rheumatic fever is heart damage. The results were shocking. While the rheumatic fever had not done any damage, they believed they found a tumor in her heart. We immediately made an appointment for her at Stanford where we had a cardiologist already we felt very comfortable with. I did my research and believed that she would have a complete recovery although the mom in me couldn't help wishing her perfect skin would not be changed forever. Silly I know. I called Kim Holland for prayer prior to the appointment. We prayed the appointment would go well, that my daughter would recover easily, and strength for our family to get through the upcoming ordeal. My husband was very upset but somehow I felt peaceful about it and ready to face another one of my loved ones having open heart surgery. I thought who better than me to have this happen rather than another mother who would probably be more frightened than I was. I never looked at it as one of those why me things, I truly felt that God gave it to me for a reason. Suddenly at the end of our conversation Kim surprised me by asking God for complete healing. She asked that when we went to the appointment the tumor would be gone. Honestly it hadn't even occured to me to ask for the miracle. The nurse in me expected to take my daughter to surgery. God often puts people in our lives to be intercessors for us and I'm grateful every day Kim was mine. We went to the appointment my daughter had the echo, but as for the tumor no one could find it. The cardiologist even had the head of radiology review the tape to make sure but there was no tumor. We all sat there and stared at each other. Of course the doctors think a mistake was made, but we knew better. Tumors are hard to misdiagnose. Either you see one or you don't. I know in my heart that God healed my daughter. There is no other explanation.

Unknown said...

I haven't the other replies yet so excuse me if I'm just repeating what other people said.

I feel that a miracle can be defined in different ways, and still be correct.

One definition of a miracle can be an answered prayer, or a satiated need. Just the mere act of God is a miracle in itself.

Another definition of a miracle is the works around us. The complexity of our intelligence that he has bestowed in us. The complexity of His design in nature. The creativity that is bestowed in us and the need to be creative and express it. All of these are phenomenons that can't be explained without again, the act of God either interfering or causing.

The third way I think miracle can be defined as a sign towards God. The burning bush, the rooster crowing in Peter's denial, the several healing, the flood, the split waters, and much much more signs that are explained in the bible are all signs that can be described as miracles. I'm not just talking about biblical accounts of signs either.

Even signs in our day to day life goes right under this category. I'm reminded of the scene in the Jim Carey movie "Bruce Almighty." He's driving (maybe walking? Don't remember) down a bridge and he exclaims "Just give me a sign!" and a truck drives past him filled with road signs. While that's a pretty literal example, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Signs like that are miracles because again it's God reaching toward us to get His attention.


So my short answer to this question is, and event can be deemed a miracle when it has God's involvement in it. When God is involved in any act, it can be called a miracle. There are many other examples that can be called miracles, that is why he's a miraculous God, but I think we can narrow it down by the above statement.

amy said...

Can I do another one? I just get so excited about this stuff.

Okay, I'll admit that some people could have a hard time with this one. Just bear with me if you can.

I do a lot of Bible study. It's not because I'm so holy or righteous. It's not because I'm so humble that I know how badly I need to be in the word. Frankly, it's for two pretty normal reasons:

1) I'm a student, and my classes require Bible study. My grade depends on it (which is a big motivator for me).
2) I'm lousy at "devotional" reading and lengthy prayer sessions. I'm not wired that way. I still try, but I usually have to get in, dig around, and have a lot of messy fun in order to get the good stuff. It's just the way I'm made.

So, on to the miracle part. The internet! Ya, I know. There is a whole lot of seedy stuff out there. But, have you ever visited these sites?

www.blueletterbible.org
www.biblegateway.com
bible.crosswalk.com
bible.oremus.org

The Word of God is free for the taking. Anybody with internet access can, not only read, but search out the scriptures. Bible Gateway even has multiple languages represented. Not only that (as if that weren't enough) but concordances, lexicons, dictionaries, and other study tools. Free!

I love this stuff. How is it, except for God's intervention, that amongst the pure evil in cyberspace, his living word is a beacon of light?

By his miraculous presence and intervention in the world, Christ is made known.

Kim Becker said...

I think miracles can be presented to us in many forms. What the world might call luck or nice coincidences I might call a miracle.
When my oldest daughter was 2, I was attending Fresno City College. I was living in Madera Ranchos and drove to Fresno to take her to daycare before going to school. Then a new daycare opened up in the Ranchos and I began taking her there and then would drive into Fresno for school. A few days after I started her in the new school, I dropped her off and then I was in a car accident on Avenue 7 on my way to 99 to go to school. My car hit black ice and slid sideways into an orchard and then rolled 2 or 3 times and landed right where a tree should be. In the whole orchard there was one tree removed from the first row. Maybe it was diseased or something, I don't know, but it was gone and that is the exact spot where my car landed. That winter was particularly bad for black ice and unbeknownst to me there had just been an accident right there on that road. When I landed, there was a cop at my door immediately and he startled me asking, "Are you OK? You almost slid right into me. I had to run out of the way so I didn't get run over! There's another accident across the street and the paramedics are just leaving the scene, so we will have help here for you very soon. Sit tight. Don't move." I looked over across the street and sure enough there was a car out in the open field across the street and the paramedics turned on their siren and drove away. It was so odd. Also they already had a news team out there showing how dangerous the black ice was and when the camera man heard me sliding he turned the camera on my car and caught the whole thing on tape and it ran all day long at every news opportunity. My family and I got to watch me rolling my car over and over again that day with my head flopping around like a rag doll. The news warned everyone to take it easy and drive slowly. The thing is, traffic was slow on Ave 7 because of the accident up ahead that I couldn't see, so I wasn't driving over 40 when I slid. If it hadn't already happened I would have been going 60 hurrying off to school and I would have possibly rolled even farther into the orchard and would have hit a tree and been smashed. As I sat in my car waiting for the ambulance I was just thanking God that my daughter was safe at daycare in the Ranchos and wasn't with me like she would have been a week prior. My injuries were pretty minor - like 7 stitches on the top of my head where the roof smashed into it, and some bruises on my hip and shoulder from my seatbelt, which totally saved my life. Everything in my car flew out the driver's side window that shattered as the car rolled. If I hadn't been buckled up I would have been thrown out the side window and crushed. I just see God's hand all over that accident. I was kept safe, and my daughter safer. It still amazes me how things were really in my favor there. (I think I remember the cop telling me the other person wasn't very hurt either, but I'm not 100% sure what happened with them.) I do know it could have been SO much worse for me.
Some people might say I was very lucky or it was a great coincidence that the tree was gone and the cops were already there, but I thank God for the miracle after miracle that I saw happen that day.