The Internet overwhelms me. So does the newspaper. So does NPR. So would the myriad news shows on TV, if I watched them.
It's not that I am overwhelmed by the power of individual stories. I expect, even welcome, being moved to emotional and "actional" compassion by what I read or see.
Rather, I am overwhelmed by the vastness and, for lack of a better word, variety of it all.
Last week, for instance, in maybe 48 hours, I was informed of the plight of slave workers picking cocoa beans, of sixty thousand Russian women who have been taken into the sex trade (also mostly as slaves), and of a group of unfortunate tenants who had been rented houses that the "landlord" didn't own. Local and distant, we are talking about people with real needs. Somehow, they must be served. And we all know that times are getting tougher; many more people will face legitimate plights right in our midst.
When I read or hear reports like these; when I reflect on the work that we have done on behalf of several families who have faced strong difficulties in our own fellowship in recent months; when I consider the growing daily need for help that is expressed at the doors of the Dakota House (to which we have more than doubled our church tithe for November and December); yes, when I think on all of these needs and those we will still yet hear of in this season and beyond, I wonder first of all, is it OK for me to buy ANYTHING?
Obviously, that is not an altogether reasonable question. But what I really mean is this: I want to do unto others as I would have done unto me, and yet there simply is no way that I can do rightly and generously unto them all. The worldwide scope we have been given through our many media outlets puts us in a position unlike any the world has ever known. We may literally know too much. And in knowing so much, it becomes easy to be distracted, pulled in a thousand different directions.
In circumstances like these, I think faithfulness becomes increasingly important to people. We will stay laser-like with the Dakota House and The Ark. We will give them even more if it seems appropriate. We do this because we have relationship with these people and we know the work they are doing; we have even had opportunity to do hands-on work with these people, which is another great way to contribute. Additionally, we support the work of World Vision in different seasons (including Christmas), because they are experts at helping in the world's worst situations. And as other needs present themselves, we look at these too, particularly when they are needs within and close to our fellowship.
I think it is important to know what is going on in the world. Each time another troubling story catches my attention, it raises my awareness in a significant way. But I also believe it is important to know what God has called us to and to be faithful to that calling. And if that calling includes steady, purposeful generosity (in dollar and in deed) to certain ministries or missionaries, then I need to stick with itand maybe all the more closely in difficult times, because in such times the demand on these ministries is multipliedso that the relationship between me and them (or us and them) is deepened.
God Keeps Leading
11 years ago
8 comments:
You know this is a subject that is close to my heart. I am currently writing a reflection on "poverty mentality." I'll post it soon.
Jeff,
I am currently struggling with this issue at the moment. I have worked very little in the last several weeks. Finances are extremely tight, but we are not starving, we are not cold, and we have a roof over our heads. The stories worry me. Just reading the newspaper is enough to overwhelm you let alone all the other sources. So many are going without right now, and I want to help. I have stockpiles of things that we use that I bought that I paid nothing or next to nothing for. I'm thinking of dropping it off at the Dakota house but at the same time if I hang on to this stuff it's that much more I don't have to worry about paying for while we are struggling. What should I do? As I keep looking at the stuff the answer is clear to give what I can because the needs are so much greater than mine. I at least have clean water to drink.
Amy, I'm looking forward to your reflection on the poverty mentality.
I know someone who has sponsored a child in ethiopia for the last 10 years. The economy has taken its toll on this fellow. He chose to cancel his tv service so he could continue to sponsor this child. He said if he had to he would cancel his health insurance too... where do you draw that line?
That is the definition of kingdom-minded. Wow!
I believe some people are called to be that self sacrificing, but there is room for all of us to do something for someone who has more need than we do. I don't think we can all cancel our health care to help others. That doesn't seem extremely forward moving to me. What happens when there is a medical incident and then the doctor bills roll in? How will going into debt for that help anyone? There needs to be some practicality, but I know God doesn't always work that way either. He did commend the woman who gave her last coin. So?? I certainly don't have the answers. I do think we should have an awareness of need around us and not get lost in our own small worlds, thinking we need the newest gadget, cell phone, whatever. We need to remember that we do not have the right to much, if anything.
Anyway, I'm rambling. Sorry.
This is a good topic.
I could see cancelling my tv service for my child. After 10 years, it's his child. I just don't see how you could view it any differently. I don't know about cancelling my health insurance. I think I would find something else to give up or save on. Like hanging out my laundry or giving up meat or something like that.
"If you have done it unto the least of them, you have done it unto me".
Still haven't written that reflection. One final to go, and it's a biggie. After that, I'm going to enjoy some free-writing (and reading) time.
Post a Comment