For the three days this week before Christmas, I would like to offer some thoughts for you that will help you be ready for Christmas (because by now we all know that "it is good to be ready for Christmas.")
This morning, I am thinking chiefly of this: thankfulness.
I have been blessed so ridiculously in my life—if by "blessing" we mean the good and enjoyable things that come our way (though I know too that there is tremendous blessing in the hard and unexpected things that come our way). I am afraid though that my normal response to these blessings is, well, normal. That is, I am generally thankful more than I am specifically thankful. So this morning let me embody the kind of thankfulness I wish to have more of this season and beyond by offering a number of specific things for which I am thankful. Here they are:
- My wife, who listens to a lot more than she probably bargained for when we were married, and who is absurdly supportive when she would be right to spend a little more time kicking my butt.
- My boys, who have given us immense joy through the years and who now are learning to give to many others as well (it's taking time, but look at me!).
- The Church Council, especially in the months since the theft, when there have been a lot of big topics on the table and big decisions to be made. They are stalwart in many ways, but especially in faith.
- Chris and Kim Becker, who love to worship and love to see people grow in worship. And then there is the fact of their long and steady commitment to us all. And to the people who join them in playing the music and singing the songs that help us draw closer to God.
- Bonnie Baker, who has become a beloved friend to our children as she leads them to the Lord through His Word.
- Sherryl Doss and Ellen Garrison, who help make things tick in the office on a weekly basis. This frees me to spend more time on the stuff I am best at and most moved to do.
- Brian Russell, Sonny Osborn, and Jim and Maureen Holland. These folks have been the cleaners of the building (talk about unseen heroes) for most of 2008. They are testaments to commitment to the fellowship in spite of significant personal challenges that sometimes toss them to and fro. (And just a heads-up: we're going to need some folks to step into some of their spots in 2009.)
- Sunriver Church, for taking such good care of our building, for their commitment to kingdom expansion, for their truth-bent pastor.
- People like Dave Stone and Phil Ayon, who take so much in stride that it exposes a detail nut like me. Thanks for bringing me perspective.
- People like Paul and Edith and Geri, who want so much to see the people in their daily lives meet Jesus. Thanks for reminding us of the greatest need in the world.
- People like Wayne and Mari and Tony, who have moved so many chairs in our building we should be most thankful we haven't had to pay chiropractic bills on their behalf. Thanks for leading us in service.
- People like Tobie and Robbie and Carol and Ryan and Tim, who just love God-time, time in His presence, either in the building or out in the world. Thanks for demonstrating passion and desire.
- People like Nelson and Sonny and Sharon, who are working week in and week out with some of those who are "the sick" and " the needy," ministering with Jesus' compassion and the Word of God. Thanks for being Jesus' hands and heart in our community.
- People like Mike and David and David and Tom, who have laid their businesses in God's hand in fat times and lean, letting Him be more and more the ruler of all their actions. Thanks for honoring our King as His ambassadors.
- People like Blaze and Josh and Katie and Ellie and Daniel and Hannah and Brandon and Annie and Kanada, who in their youth are putting God ahead of the world and really looking for eternal perspective. Thanks for keeping us on our toes as adults who need to be drawing from your vigor and leading you in righteousness. And thanks to people like Dave and Liz and Rick and Jackie who pour the Word into you out of love for and interest in you.
- People like Rhonda and Steve and Beth and Mary and Angie, who somehow keep reaching out to help one another in the midst of all the weight of their own challenges. Thanks for showing us persevering faith.
Can you see how much we have to thank God for in one another? Can you see how much we have to learn from one another? It's stunning. I am glad that we are all learning together. I am glad that some of you are in some ways "just getting started" in your journeys with Christ or with TFH and that in the time to come we will be able to gain much from you as well.
God Keeps Leading
11 years ago
3 comments:
I love to pull weeds. When my life is too busy, and not going as I intend it too, when it seems that God has gone on vacation and forgot about me, when it all gets too complicated for my finite limited brain to handle I pull weeds. I like to sit on the grass..damp or not with no shoes on. I look through the grass, and find the weeds, and then I am very careful to not pull out the grass with the weeds. Its also very important to get low enough on the weed to get the roots when you pull it out. To pull weeds properly actually takes time, finesse, and precision with a patient endurance and purpose behind it all.
It is how I see God working in my life...The master gardner pulling weeds out of this garden..ever so gently, yet with purpose. I started weeding after I heard a message one sunday. It was about leading a quiet life, and working with ones hands. The pastor actually said it was his "life verse".
That verse, and that message has changed my life. It has given me a sanctuary to go to when I am overwhelmed with life. It actually calms me to gently remove weeds, doing something positive in the midst of all the negative. And in the midst of all the negative it leaves me with two questions to ponder. "What would Jesus do?" What would Jeff do? Im thankful that the answer is the same. Im thankful that we have a pastor who mirrors Jesus, and keeps my thoughts, and priorities God based. Im thankful for a man of God that I can trust, through thick and thin.
As I look out my window I can actually begin to see new weeds coming up for next year. It gives me a great peace to see them coming in...to know that next year I will have a place of sanctuary, and work to do with my hands.
THE (OTHER) PARABLE OF THE WEEDS
I was thinking just a day or two ago about how messages/sermons are responded to in several different ways. Some hear one and the cares of the week don't really allow them to take it in. Others hear the same sermon and think, What a rich message!, but other priorities (often things God is working on first in their lives) cause the message to fall to the wayside, at least in the short run. Then there are those rare occasions when someone hears a message and really puts it into action (and rarer yet is that the speaker finds out about it).
What an encouragement from anonymous, and what an amazing thing that both my thoughts and his/her words fell into the arena of weeds--in connection with Jesus' original parable of the weeds and the front lawn!
Jeff,
Love the detail of your thankfulness. I love that it's people you are thankful for in a culture that is captivated by "stuff". It's a great picture that all of us bring something rich to the body and it all looks different.
I, too, am thankfull for many things. Among those would be the impact so many of you have had on my life.
Merry Christmas!
Mark Adams
Post a Comment