Sunday, November 30, 2008

Peace (and quiet) on earth

I stood in the barn at her house the other night, where maybe 75 showed up to watch The Nativity Story, and listened to my sister tell me about her blog (it's down there on the right, called Preschoolers and Peace). She has just begun her annual sabbatical, telling her readers that she would take the remaining six weeks of the year off. But here is the problem: people keep writing. She receives 1,600 hits a day, and she is feeling the weight of it all. These people want her and her words. Somehow they think she has it all figured out, and what she can't figure out is why. She'd like to hole up with her man and their eight cool kids and just be them for a while. Maybe then she'd have a chance to figure out enough more to keep writing. What she is begging for is a season of peace (and quiet) on her patch of earth.

And then there is Amy, whose blog is down there too (Theology and Pancakes). Boy, has she struck a chord with me the past couple of days, digging into one of my favorite all-time topics: the question of need. Almost crying, she ponders how the need for anything Wal-Mart might have to offer could have driven crazed shoppers to break down the doors and kill a man. And in the midst of it all, she wonders about consumerism and television and any other empty influence that runs our lives. (Along these lines, if you have not yet done so, you absolutely, positively need to take 3-4 minutes over at Jon Troast's site and listen, for free, to "Was It Ever Really Mine?") I didn't mean for that sidetrack to deflect you from this fact: Amy, too, is begging for a season of peace (and quiet) on her patch of earth, not to mention a number of other patches as well.

And I am with them. I love the idea of the blessings that are ours when we do it a whole different way, when we do it God's way. And God's way, though sometimes lightning quick and stunningly miraculous, is never frenzied. Imagine—5,000 and more people fed with a few loaves and fishes and they let it be a picnic, rather than a Wal-Mart stampede for the meal they "needed."

How much more blessed would we find our lives to be if we were somewhat more conditioned to deprivation?

What if we didn't eat one full day each week? How much better would those other meals taste then?

What if we couldn't have Christmas one year, not one little bit of it? How much more enjoyable would it be the next year?

What if we shut off those TVs and stopped buying those things and said, "This year I'm going for peace"?

What if, as Beth suggested on Amy's blog, we didn't give gifts when we were "supposed to," but gave them when it made more sense? Aren't surprises more like blessings than obligatory materialism sessions?

What if we gave someone what they could never have otherwise? What if we did what they suggest at The Advent Conspiracy and gave gifts of a far greater kind?

What if we really did throw all our eggs in the Jesus basket this time around, whether we're talking about Christmas or anything else?

I know this is a lot of what-ifs (though I know you could add a few of your own), but just how badly do we want it—you know, peace (and quiet) on earth?

10 comments:

Kendra Fletcher said...

Thanks. You're always a listening ear. TFH is blessed to have you.

amy said...

I really enjoyed the "conspiracy" link. They did a great job of using the video medium. Sign me up!

Our family Christmas is going to be very simple this year. We already have everything money can buy. Sure, there's stuff out there that we don't own, but those are just fancier versions of what we already have.

There are only so many basic human needs. We can meet those needs the regular way or the fancy way. I'm glad I don't have to cook over a wood fire (every night), but I don't need a $10,000. Viking range in order to make dinner. I already have a nicer setup than I will ever need. So now that I have what I need, how can I help others?

I'm really glad we are talking about these things. These are not peripheral issues.

Anonymous said...

I am writing this because I don't understand something. That is probably an indictment on my ignorance, but instead of stewing over it, I am learning to be honest, and try to understand the other point of view.
I read this post, and checked out the other blogs recommended here. For the most part they are very interesting, and very well written. Amy, your intellect and communication in writing is much admired.
That being said, I hit a brick wall while cruising through these blogs, and initially I tried to ignore it so it would go away, but it lingers. I sought counsel and was advised that maybe I should voice my opinion, so in my pursuit of growth here goes:
I dont understand the post entitled " I voted no on prop 8" Let me preface this by saying I have some gay friends, some I have known for years. The logistics of their wants and needs concerning relationships is obviously very complex. I don't pretend to understand it because I don't. I could be a victim of close minded "evangelical" thinking, and if I am then I would like to get over it. But I cannot discount what God says in the bible. And God has much to say about it. God uses very clear language, and it appears to me that while God loves the gay person as much as any heterosexual, God does not condone the lifestyle. As a matter of biblical record He seems to vehemently oppose such relationships. My question is this, If God does oppose it, why would we want to condone it? And it would appear to me that condoning gay marriage, civil or not is to approve of something God is saying no too. Am I reading this wrong?
My biggest concern is that if we as a society and a church condone it, what happens if God does not. I personally don't focus much attention on who wants to be married to who, but God does. And I can't find anywhere where He even remotely finds room to put approval on this subject. Yet this thinking seems to have wide acceptance within Amy's blog, and our church.
I must confess I am the odd man out here. And I am concerned for the salvation of a gay person who might enter into a gay marriage, stay that way until "death do they part", and face a God who in my understanding, has not adopted the tolerant stand we as a society and church have adopted.
That being said , I have been wrong before in my thinking, and my theology, but I draw this thinking from what I am interpreting the bible to say. Nelson

Jeff said...

Nelson,

Thank you for your long and thoughtful comment. Your concerns are significant.

Let me begin by making the ubiquitous disclaimer that the inclusion of a blog link here does not necessarily confirm TFH's blanket endorsement of all that is written on those blogs, either by the writer or by those who comment. And I might say that certainly there are things on other blogs, including those listed here, that are not how I see things when I read the Bible--just as others would say the same about this blog.

In the particular case you mention, Amy was aware (and wrote as much right up front) that her comments may not sit well with those in our fellowship and perhaps with those in leadership. As it turned out, those who offered comment were all to some degree in agreement with her reasoning. But I don't know that this points to "wide acceptance" in the fellowship. Most definitely, in other contexts members of the fellowship have expressed to me the opposite opinion. That is, there are many who would agree with you that the Bible is plain on this matter. As for Amy's post, she did write that she was not arguing from that standpoint, but from a political context in a democratic society.

I will refrain from offering direct response to this issue at this stage, either in confirmation or dissent, as it has long been the agreement of the Council that we would not become a political body. In her post, Amy did not intend to speak for the fellowship as a whole or for the Council or for "TFH leadership"; she intended to speak for herself. What your comment has poignantly revealed is that it is not really possible to live in community, speak boldly for yourself, and not expect a weighty contretemps.

Rhonda said...

Nelson,

Thank you for asking what you have here. I love seeing these conversations, they really get me to think.

While I can't speak for Amy or anyone else who commented I can tell you were I am coming from.

I struggled with this one in a very big way. While I do agree with what you say I don't believe that a no vote meant condoning gay marriage. If you read my comment you know I chose to abstain from voting on this particular issue.

I remembered Jeff saying if you have read your bible then you know how to vote. For ME {and PLEASE do not get me wrong, I do not assume at all that this is what Jeff meant...this is just how *I* feel} I believe that the biggest message is to love God with all your heart and love others as He loves us. I couldn't put myself in an "us vs them" position. And from what I was seeing on TV, in the streets, among people I highly respected that is exactly what this proposition was doing and I wanted no part of it.

I don't think that is condoning gay marriage. My message of Christ's love is not going to be heard standing on a street corner shouting people down and telling them how wrong they are. That's what was happening. I sat a red light that day and was yelled at by a "yes" supporter and was told I was going to hell. Why I have no idea but my kids witnessed that. Yes there are bad apples in every bunch but to see the ugliness and hate just turned my stomach.

Amy brings up very good points in her post about the political and legal history and the dismal failure of those in the church body to demonstrate what "traditional marriage" is supposed to look like. This had nothing to do with speaking the truth in love, in my opinion.

I'm not a biblical scholar by any means. But I do trust the Holy Spirit completely and I share your concern for another's salvation, especially if they are living a sinful life. Aren't we all living sinful lives? I just didn't think this particular issue was they way to demonstrate the love Jesus has for us ALL.

Kim Becker said...

I may put my foot in my mouth here. I'm pretty good at that. None the less, I feel I should respond to you Nelson.

My decision to vote no on 8 was not made flippantly. I carefully weighed what I saw as both sides, not necessarily what the world sees as both sides, or what the evangelical church sees as both sides. To them there may just be right and wrong. And I agree that there may be clear lines of right and wrong, but how to deal with that is another issue to me. I prayed that God would show me how to vote. I searched my heart for answers. I just kept coming back to the way God loves unconditionally. Like when Jesus came to Zacchaeus, he said, "I am going to your house today." He went, and Zacchaeus was transformed just by Jesus' love. Jesus did not require Zacchaeus to change before he would go to his house for fear of condoning his behavior. He just loved the guy.
And then I have thought about how I do not force my children to do what is right all the time. Sometimes they must find out for themselves. Sometimes I see that they will make a bad choice, but I have to let it happen in order to help them really learn what is right. If I required correct behavior on the outside, would that mean their hearts are pure? Would I say, "Well, I did my part to make them do what God wants. My hands are clean." There are more ways than one to bring about godliness. Outward conformance is not godliness.
How does that apply to Prop 8? Well, I could have voted yes because I see the behavior as wrong in God's eyes, but is that really bringing about change in their lives? Or would loving unconditionally be the true witness of Christ?

To me, the number one message that Christ brought is to love above all else. That is how I am striving to live my life. Perhaps I did not do the right thing in voting no. My discernment is not always 100% correct. But I can assure you that I did choose what I felt was the godly way. If God tells me otherwise I am more than willing to admit my fault and confess. I pray if I did the wrong thing that he will let me know.

amy said...

Nelson,
I want to say up front that I really appreciate the respectful and thoughtful tone of your response.

Second, my post had much more to do with how the kingdom of God interacts with the kingdoms of the world (that is, governments).

Third, my vote "against" a certain law should not be construed as a vote "for" any given behavior. In my opinion, making a specific new law is riskier than not. This doesn't mean that I agree or disagree with the basic proposal of a law. I voted against increased law enforcement funding. That doesn't mean that I don't want law enforcement adequately funded.

Fourth, you'll notice that I did not make an appeal to notions of loving feelings or the "rights" of people to love whomever they choose. This was irrelevant to my reasoning.

I purposely stayed away from those statements because I think the church needs to pay significant attention to the justice of God, on balance with the love of God. Otherwise, we become dizzy with sentimentality (especially because we don't totally understand what either of those words mean). My concern when voting was with justice and defending the vulnerable and innocent.

Furthermore, I did not make statements condoning or condemning the sexual behaviors of anyone. I don't think blogging is an appropriate forum to address those questions. Many people are in turmoil and agony over these questions, people who desperately want to serve God but find themselves on the outs of church. Tremendous sensitivity must be used in ministering to people in pain, and blogs are not particularly conducive to sensitivity :).

Anonymous said...

To all who have called, emailed, and answered back here, thank you for the input. Let me again reiterate the dilemna is in my mind, and no where else.
One of my character flaws has been when I don't understand something, I immediately reject it, and proclaim myself absolutely right, with little or no room for input or compromise. This flaw has been a detriment to me, and seems to lead to self imposed isolation and self righteousness. These are destructive to me, and therefore I thank you for allowing me to practice new methods to change my behavior. That being said..I love you all, and ask for your grace towards me as I work through this...Nelson

amy said...

Nelson,
You have blessed me with your candor and humility. Thank you for being an example of true Christian maturity.

I really think that this kind of respectful dialogue is important in the church. I'm glad to see it this happening in our body because engaging with one another, is one way iron can sharpen iron. I am open to the possibility that my own opinion may adjust (and no doubt will, in one way or another). I need my faith community to help me work through these questions, or I'm left without one of the means by which Christian maturity develops.

To really walk with each other, I guess, we each have to start where we are at the moment, and try to meet each other where they are at the moment: respecting our own growth process and respecting the same in others.

We may be on to something good here :)

amy said...

I wanted to add something. I also really appreciate that we don't get "political" at TFH. I mean, we don't put a how-to-vote insert in the bulletin the week before voting day, or anything close to that. It was not my intent to violate that very gracious position. I want to keep things that way.

The fact is, I didn't realize many people were reading. I don't have a tracker/counter and only a small handful of folks respond. I had no idea.

If I knew, would I have avoided the post? I don't know. Maybe I would have posed more questions than statements. Maybe I would have placed my ethical questions in a different subject.

As it is, what's done is done, and it's kid of cool to know that my friends actually read what I write. I like that :)