So let me go on record as saying that I agree with those who anticipate Tuesday as "the big day." I guess anytime the world's most prominent nation (at least for the last 100 years) elects a new leader it is a "big day." The election could have stunningly far-reaching impact.
But let me suggest this as well: for each of us, the bigger day may be Wednesday. For that is the day when we will be tested with this question: do we trust God even though the outcome we thought would be best did not happen?
Don't get me wrong. I am not prognosticating. I am not suggesting I know what the outcome will be or how you voted or any such thing. I am only saying that almost no one wins every choice for which they mark their ballot, so virtually everyone comes away disappointed in some spot or another. Of course, many of these are not things we hang our hat on, so to speak. If the prison bond or the train bond or the chicken wing proposition doesn't pass (or does), it probably will be forgotten to us not too many days from now.
But other items and other candidates are hot buttons, and some of those buttons are lodged right near our hearts. Trouble is, our heart's content is unlikely all the way down the line. In fact, some years we are thwarted pretty much all the way down the line. And then we are hit by the big Q: how much do we trust God now? how willing are we to change our prayers to "prove us wrong, Lord," if the situation calls for it?
I suppose the great irony for us who know our Bibles is that we fear that certain Election Day outcomes may lead to Armageddon. Oddly, that is the last thing we should fear. For when Armageddon has come and gone, the Lord will have come to stay!
I don't love a hard life any more than others (probably less). And I don't root for more of the same immoral onslaught we have been plagued by in steady increase during our lifetimes. But I do root for the final, eternal kingdom of God. And I have to trust Him to get us there. Which means, if you've read your book of Revelation, that some pretty nasty times have to come first. Are these times we see in front of us now those times specifically? That I cannot say. But I can say that God knows, and when we trust Him fully He will show us His most excellent work, and we will receive it in a most God-honoring way.
God Keeps Leading
12 years ago
5 comments:
Well today is Wednesday and I have to say I came out relatively ok in the election. Dare I say it (gasp) that I was happy to see marriage preserved? Not everything happened I hoped for but that is what happens in an election. My mother has often said that voting is an act of courage. You never know what you are going to get or you may never get what you are after, but it's important to try. I'm happy to report that my mother was with us yesterday too so she could vote as well. Yes I absolutely trust God to take care of the results. Only He can see into the future and I do not doubt there is a plan, a good plan, and the right plan for the future.
Beth,
So great that your mom could vote yesterday! What an exceeding joy that is!
Thank you for this thoughtful post, Jeff. I am impressed with your ability to discuss this in terms that transcend political agendas or affiliations.
For, while we enjoy (or endure) temporary residence in one country or another, we do not have dual citizenship. We are subjects of the Kingdom of God, now and already. And, while I have sometimes heard Christians, from both major parties, state that there is no way a "real" Christian could affiliate with the other party or conviction, we must always remember that we are not defined or empowered by our earthly attachments.
Thank you for reminding us that our hope is not in the things of this world, and that God is still God, whether we get what we want or not.
I can't seem to rid myself of the idea that we are getting what we are asking for, and that may not be the best thing for us. As those in society continue to push for the separation of church and state, the complete removal of God from the schools, workplace, military etc. I can't help the foreboding thought that God is letting us go down our own path. Like a 5 yr old who decides he doesn't want to eat his broccoli anymore so he is running away from home, not aware of what that entails.
I watched the news last night as they were marching and rioting over the marriage bill passing and how strong they were fighting against it. They are not going away until they get what they want. And there are far fewer of them than there are of us.
I guess my point is that there may be a false sense of security in being a believer. Instead of standing up for what we believe in; (God) we just trust that God will handle it. Could this be a lack of passion for our God?
We are definitely a nation that is evolving, but I do not see us evolving in a positive way. When the economy takes priority over God's way, when compromise is the best settlement we can arrive at, I become very concerned about the direction of my country.
"Too many conservative Evangelicals have put too much faith in the power of government to transform culture. The futility inherent in such misplaced faith can be demonstrated by asking these activists a simple question: Does the secular left, when it holds power, persuade conservatives to live by their standards? Of course they do not. Why, then, would conservative Evangelicals expect people who do not share their worldview and view of God to accept their beliefs when they control government?" - Cal Thomas
Long ago, when he was the media director for Jerry Falwell, I reviewed a book by Cal Thomas. In the many years hence, he has actually come far closer to my own thinking, which is that while we must vote our biblically-minded conscience, when we become too involved in the political forum, we shrink to just another one of the myriad voices in the democratic sea. When instead we remain strong in our pulpits and speak with God's authority, our words fly higher and farther. This week, in the wake of the election, Cal wrote the words above as part of this excellent column. I think it strikes the proper balance that anonymous is desiring, between holding fast to Jesus and caring about the moral demise of our country, and addresses the question of how this is best done.
Post a Comment