I'm not sure who is reading the blog these days, as the last two posts have produced only automated responses from a poker site. You would do well to steer clear of that! :) But I would love to generate some feedback, even from our usually reluctant readers, to today's post.
At the risk of making her sound unspiritual, let me tell you that Laura has shared with me more than once that her new favorite time at our gatherings on Saturday nights is after everything has finished. A few folks always stick around just to talk with one another, and though a bit late for those with younger children, it is a relaxed timewith much thanks to Rick and Jackie for the relaxed part of it all! Even our teenagers aren't usually begging to hightail it out of there, for there are plenty of laughs for them, too.
I see others also use this time well, receiving unhurried prayer or talking about the occurrences and occasions of the weeks preceding and forthcoming. It can be a heavy time, but without any hurry to it, that's OK.
This is all to say that fellowship extends far beyond the planned and far beyond the context of the things we would normally define as worship. Fellowship happens most easily when it is just given a chance (quality time is 99 percent of the time a by-product of quantity time). And it happens best when it occurs in the context of Jesus Christthat is, when it is clear that our face-to-face interactions are not just about those we can see, but that we are aware of our Lord's presence among us. When you and I have Jesus in common, our fellowship assumes a vital foundation, the Rock of Ages.
While it is Chris' task to see to it that you are given a place and time to sing to and of our great God, and while it is my task to give you what you cannot get anywhere else ("what does God have to say to me?"), we cannot force the kinds of moments that really nourish you for the days ahead. Those come from the Lord and they are unique to each person.
Take a few minutes if you would to share here what part of our Saturday gatherings is often the richest for you, and tell us why.
God Keeps Leading
11 years ago
8 comments:
One of my favorite times is getting there. Seeing my church family after not seeing them for a week is good. I have been learning about honoring, and valuing people. To do this I must completely set myself aside, and focus on them. Good eye contact, a big hug instead of a handshake, sincere questions and interest on how they are doing, a willingness to rejoice in their good, and pray immediately for their not-so-good.To be a great listener, and an even better lover.
I believe God guides my every footstep when I enter the building, and He seems to take me to just the right person or persons to talk with, and I usually end up better off for it. And when Chris starts the music, I seem to be more so in the attitude to praise the Lord.
I like bacon. We need more bacon.
Hey, you asked for feedback.
I love our worship time. It gives me time to relax, and focus on God so I'm ready to hear the message. It lifts my spirits when I need it and fills me with love, joy, and a connected feeling with God. Thanks to Chris and the worship team who all do a super job. I love you guys!
I would say that lately the richest part for me is when we find ourselves in, or allow ourselves to enjoy, holy silence. This usually comes after a time of musical worship, which of course I LOVE, but it is in these silent moments that I feel we can almost reach out and touch the Holy. It is in the silence that I feel most in awe of the omnipresent God who is so vast that he is in me and out of me and encompassing my entire universe all at the same time. I like when we corporately observe a reverent time of silence in honor of, or due to our awe of, the one who loves us so.
I would suggest actually scheduling a regular time of silence together, but would it become rote if we did that? I don't know... Does our singing and praying and sermon become rote because they have a somewhat scheduled place in the order of service? I think we have to continually check our hearts and motives on all these things and we could add a time of silence in and be blessed by it. (At least I would be blessed by it.)
to me its the message, i love to engage into the word and learn
While bacon is good....... ;)
Anyway...For me, every week is different. Sometimes I like the worship. Sometimes I like to stay after and talk with Kim, Beth or Rhonda. Other times it's the message. Most times it's just being there. I love that I can be in the presence of God, and be around friends at the same time. Even when I'm in a funk, or if I can't really concentrate on what's going on, I can still feel something in the air. Oh wait, that must be God. ;)
I'm with Laura. My favorite part of church is the church. I mean, being with the people. Even though I'm a big fan of the music (love to listen and to sing), and the Word (love to listen, to study, and to talk), the BEST part of church is the being together.
To tell the truth, a lot of typical church activities (the "service" stuff) are very me-and-God focused. That is, it's about each individual "feeling" something that proves that either God is near or the individual is adequately faithful. We pinch our eyes closed, shut out the ambient noise, shush our kids so they won't distract us, and muster all the fervor we can. We try to "focus" on God.
If we watch church's in other cultures, even the singing time is very social. Eyes are more frequently open and there seems to be an us-and-God focus. I know others, maybe most others, will disagree with me here. This is just me talking, but I can put on worship music, turn it up high, pinch my eyes closed and meditate on God at home. What do I need the church for? For relationships. For interaction. For talking, and playing, and rejoicing, and working, and praying with one another.
I actually like the way the "all Kaboom" meetings are structured. The kids do a lot of relationship building through play. They get serious about worship and the Word, but the highlight of their meetings sure seems to be the getting-together part.
Is Dave the reason the church smelled like bacon Saturday night? What WAS that all about?
Post a Comment