Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Bit of Follow-up

Any time you deliver a significant presentation, particularly as long as the one on Saturday night, you go home saying, "Oh, I should have said..."

I have two such should've-saids from Saturday that I would like to follow up on here.

1. Salaries. While we covered that the total salary outlay (which includes salaries, taxes, and worker's comp) was just above $5,000 monthly in 2008 and will be $4,000 monthly in 2009, that is for all of our four paid staff: myself, Chris Becker (worship), Bonnie Baker (children), and Sherryl Doss (pastoral assistant). In other words, no one's getting rich out of our budget. :)

2. What if you don't get a revelation about what you should do? I realize that some people will consider what God might have them do in and around TFH and grow frustrated because there is no considerable clarity in this regard. Let me encourage you.

First, our founding pastor used to say, "The need is not the call." In many ways I agree with this. But I also think that a gifting may be the call that meets a need. I'll explain by example. You may know you have a gift of mercy but that there is no present call to employ it. Then comes a need that is made known to you (perhaps announced to the fellowship). I believe that the prior gifting then becomes the call that meets the need. So you may not need a fresh revelation for how you might be involved in the year to come; you may need to get busy with a gifting that God gave you long ago.

Second, a call can often look like a simple interest. For some reason, you have a heightened interest to do something. You may not think this is from the Lord, and you may not know from experience that this is the thing for you. But many have pursued a twinge of interest like this and found their calling.

Third, some will be called alongside. That is, God may lead you to go where another goes (like Ruth did) rather than giving you specific guidance for an action. God may lead you to "Stick by John." Meanwhile He calls John to work in a certain area. Then you should go with John and do what John does.

Fourth, God may not be calling you to do something new. I am convinced He wants some people to stay right where they are. If you have been engaged in and enjoying a certain work in the fellowship and you don't seem to be led elsewhere, that's a good sign (God sign?) that you should "press on."

Fifth, don't worry that there are others doing what you seem to be called to do. Actually, if many are led to a specific area, that will be a pretty good indication that we should be putting energy and resources into that area. As a matter of fact, it just makes good sense to only build in those areas where we have room to breathe, as opposed to building ministry areas around one "superhero" of a volunteer.

And yet, sixth, don't worry if others do not seem to be moved to do what you're being moved to do. God will sometimes use singular people to do big things, and maybe only for a season, to get some big work done (ever read the book of Judges?).

I hope this is a helpful list. If you think there are additions to these encouragements, I'd love to have you add them by way of comment.

2 comments:

Kim Becker said...

Nice follow-up. Thanks Jeff.

I would also say, (seventh?), don't be afraid to commit to volunteer for something that hasn't been done before, or done in a long time perhaps, at TFH. If God is giving you vision for something new, go with it and share it with Jeff in your commitment form. Others may be led to come alongside you as Jeff said in number three. God may have new plans for TFH and want to use you to help birth it.

Kim Becker said...

Aren't typos in the form of grammatical errors annoying and quite humbling? :-)