Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Should I be worried?

Should I be worried that when people send me emails these days, they are being time-stamped at 5:30 in the morning? Am I missing "the best part of the day" (the quiet of the morning)? Or are they (the slow wind-down of the night)?

Should I be worried that so many of my acquaintances seem to be making much of the alcohol that will be used in celebrating certain accomplishments (even as small as reaching the weekend), while so many others of my acquaintances have had to run from alcohol because of the damage it has done to them and their families?

Should I be worried that your kids are screaming where mine never would have, but your kids are adventurous where mine are sedate?

Should I be worried that this friend or that is taking another vacation, while I've never been freed to spend that kind of money on something I know so many others cannot do? Maybe I need to be studying up not only on my days of sabbath but my years of sabbath and jubilee.

Should I be worried that I assume the problem is with others when it is almost surely with me?

I suppose it never ceases to surprise me that we live our lives in such very different ways from one another, even though many of us profess to hold fast to the things most significant. Where should the sameness begin and end? It's easy to say something trite like, "It should begin at the cross and end at the empty tomb." But we all know that Paul offered more than that in terms of things that define churches and the "leaders" in churches (I popped leaders into quotes because we also all know that we all lead, intentionally or unintentionally, by the things we say and do). And we know as well that he was very clear with the Romans that there would be differences in the way one person exercised his or her faith at times compared to the way another might—and that both sides have particular obligations to each other in such circumstances. So I guess I shouldn't worry and I should indeed look to myself and take care of what God has for me to learn and to do foremost. Because in the midst of that, He'll tell me what I need to tell you and how I need to say it.

5 comments:

Kendra Fletcher said...

Good stuff, bro. Love you.

Anonymous said...

"One mans faith allows him to eat everything, but another man whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables." Romans 14:2
I find it interesting that the "weak faithed" individual is the one with the restriction on his life, while the one strong in faith has freedom. Then again if one lived their life in fear of doing "the wrong thing" it would be hard to find life and life abundantly.

Kim Becker said...

Matthew 6:27
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"

I believe there is real freedom in releasing those around you into God's hands. I have to do this all the time when I see my family or friends making choices I don't think are best for them. But the fact of the matter is I'm not God, I'm not in charge of them, and worrying does not help me in the least. So I pray and open my hands and release them into God's hands once again. (Not that He's not already in control, but that I need to physically and mentally let go and allow Him to be in charge in me as well as around me.) That is the trick.

Jeff said...

To Anonymous:
The passage to which you refer places significant restrictions on those who are "strong," that they not act in a way that offends the "weak." Sometimes, this requires choices of action far harder to discern than the clear-cut conscience issues of the "weak."

Anonymous said...

I totally agree we should restrict our behavior for our brothers out of our love for our brothers and God.
Its 4.53 am...and no, Im not just coming in from an all nighter. But if I was..."worry about nothing, pray about everything."