Oh, how long it has been since I have written. Of course, more than a little bit has changed since then!
I mentioned on Saturday night that we are not putting out a list of specific churches for people to investigate, because the different things people are looking for is a bit too broad and I don't want to point you in a direction that just does not fit for you (I backtrack on that somewhat with a list below). However, I am very willing to talk to you about specific options depending on what you think you are looking for. When I do this, I will probably start asking you a series of questions that will help me sort some things out. These questions would include:
- What kind of worship style are you looking for?
We have a style that is usually more modern and louder than you will find in most places, but your tastes may extend far beyond what we have normally offered.
- Do children's programs matter to you?
Certainly, this is important for all range of ages. One special consideration that Laura and I have is that Daniel will be a senior in high school this year, so we will probably listen to his input more than we would have five years ago.
- Does when the church meets matter to you?
Some folks have expressed to me that they have really grown to love Saturday nights and how that sets up their weekend; others have reasons to yearn for Sunday mornings. One place we recently visited has a good Sunday night option (which is increasingly rare).
- Are you looking for something in a particular geographical location?
You might not want to keep driving across town if that's what you have been doing.
- What kind of teaching styles turn you off/on?
Some pastors are teachers and some are preachers; some are strong on biblical exposition and some are more illustrative.
- Are any theological matters especially important to you?
Personally, I want to know whether a church believes in the full range of spiritual gifts for our time, and where they fall on the predestination/sovereignty/free will continuum. These are not things you can normally find on church web sites, so you might have to email the pastor.
- Are small groups something you really want?
This is the church for some people; others connect with God well without this, particularly if they already have a strong personal support group in place.
Obviously, this is more than a bit like dating. We start off with a list, thinking all these characteristics are of equal importance, but when we find that a person/church is excellent in one or two of these areas, we suddenly back off on our "demands" in other areas. Still, it is good to have some ideas in mind before you set out, because there really are a lot of churches to choose from in Fresno.
In case you have no idea where to start, here are some places I know some of our folks have recently attended (in alpha order without recommendations, but I've included web links):
The Bridge, on Ashlan between First and Millbrook
The Grove, at Fancher Creek Elementary
New Song, on Clovis Avenue
Northpark Community Church, on Shepherd between Maple and Chestnut
Quail Lake Community Church, at Reagan Elementary at Clovis East
The River, at Bullard High School
Third Day Fellowship, near the airport
University Vineyard, on Woodrow just south of CSUF
The Well, on Maple and Alluvial
I can answer some theological questions about some of these churches, so if what you see on their web site or during a visit interests you, you can ask and I'll try to give you an answer.
Meanwhile, I have been asked whether I will keep this blog going in the months to come. I won't make a specific commitment right now, but I will certainly stay in touch with the blog for now, and add posts as seems necessary.
Looking forward to this weekend with you all!
God Keeps Leading
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment