When our boys were younger--up until about a year or so ago, actually, when the demands of higher level math and gobs of high school activities made it almost impossible--we read and read and read together. Nearly every night after dinner, we were busy reading a powerful novel or an intriguing biography or non-fiction book. The list of books we have read is surprisingly long, made longer by those years in Ecuador when TV was basically unavailable and the VHS tapes we could borrow from friends were made dark by mold and not exactly panoramic on our 14" screen (which once spent a week in the hospital's walk-in freezer to kill off the termites that were eating its housing--ah, the stories!).
But the last year has not held much place for reading, especially with Laura's shift change last summer. So when I noted that we would be on the road for a LONG time this week taking Carson to school, I thought we might have opportunity to read something together. Daniel had the same thought independent of me and we agreed that the book he had received from my sister for his birthday and had only just started would be a good choice: Do Hard Things, by Alex and Brett Harris, a pair of 19-year-olds who use their platform to challenge teenagers to step it up. They found through a blog they started a few years ago that teenagers are often unlike what the world casts them to be--imagine that! They are ready for cool challenges that affect the world around them.
Now let's forget the whole teenage thing for a minute. Here are, for instance, their reasons why we find it hard to get excited about "small hard things" (that is, things that have no instant payoff): (1) They don't usually go away after you do them, (2) They don't seem very important, (3) They don't seem to make any difference, (4) They don't seem very glamorous, (5) No one is watching.
In other words, these guys have us all pegged.
So, let me encourage you to check out their web site and blog, which I have listed at the right (The Rebelution). And let me dare you to read this book to your kids, with your kids, whatever. It's time for them to get fired up! It's time for you to get refired up!
God Keeps Leading
11 years ago
2 comments:
yea, i bought that book for my baby cousin, she promised me she would read it...but she hasnt yet and its been two months, LOL
I'm catching up on my reading here, so sorry this comment is tardy.
As a mom of 8, I have to say that I think the book is incredibly important for daughters to read. My entire last 15 years have consisted of "small hard things", and 90% of what I do daily can be defined by the definitions you listed. Raising children, changing diapers, putting meals on the table, keeping a home organized and sanitary, and managing a household (not to mention homeschooling) are all occupations characterized by "small hard things".
I'm increasingly saddened by the vast number of young moms who whine and try to wriggle out of the small hard things simply because no one challenged them to take up their cross and perform such duties with a love for Christ, His Word, their husband, and children. Me included.
If I can encourage my daughters (and sons, of course) to "do hard things" now, their lives will inevitably be easier.
Post a Comment