Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A bit put off

I must admit that I have been a bit put off by the slim response to last week's post which did little more than encourage people to speak of the difference that Jesus Christ has made/is making in their lives. If we cannot speak to this, what are we even about at all?

But in keeping with the benefit of the doubt that Laura says I am pretty good at giving to people, allow me to offer my top ten speculations as to why folks have not responded (perhaps including you):

10 Hurricane Ike After years of having, "I Like Ike" ingrained in your thinking, it has been disablingly confusing to suddenly have to not like Ike.

9 Lack of typing skills Puhleeez...have you ever watched me at a keyboard?

8 Major family medical issues OK, I am willing to give Rhonda and Beth massive doses of grace here (especially considering how much they have contributed in the past and how troubling those issues have been this month), but the rest of you are little better than stowaways if you're riding their coattails.

7 Internet down again You need a new provider, baby!

6 Homework filling your time Right... Everyone knows that the other half of homework is zipping around the Internet while you're "doing research online." Why not stop in here?

5 TFH anniversary overwhelmed you Yes, the Elenekes got us great food, Jackie did a bang-up job with the decorations, the worship team rocked our praise, and so many folks helped so efficiently that we were clean and out of there in an hour—but overwhelming? You've got too much on your plate, kid.

4 Planning your next trip to the dentist "God has not given us a spirit of fear..."

3 Procrastination is your middle name Who are your parents? And what sort of lifelong damage have they wrought?

2 You don't read this blog as often as you should OK, now we're getting to the heart of the matter.

1 You don't know how to put stuff like this into words And for that reason, I am so glad that we have a friendly place for you to practice. :)

So go on, tell us now what difference Jesus is making in some of the most important arenas of your life. Tell us how much He has loved you, cared for you, provided for you, taught you, led you, moved you, ignited you, forgiven you, encouraged you, challenged you. Tell us, even if you can't spell. Tell us, even if it sounds funny "on paper." Tell us, that we may be blessed.

5 comments:

amy said...

Jesus has made a difference, lately, in showing me how and why to offer real love to others. I recently had an experience with God that gave me the tiniest glimmer of what unconditional love really is. I am learning to appreciate and accept others for no other reason than that we are in the same boat. We are both human and in need of God.

Rhonda said...

I can't really get into a lengthy answer on this right now. All I can say, and it is the absolute truest of truths. If I did not have Jesus, my savior, my friend, my protector, my provider, my comfort... to call on right now I don't know how I would have gotten out of bed, let alone survived this past month. He is that vital. I'm not walking on that beach right now. He is carrying me because right now I can't stand.

And somehow you really knew I needed that laugh. I never would have dreamed my pastor would type "puhleeez"!

Kendra Fletcher said...

11. Eight home-educated children. Five of them under ten. And a massive cold.

Between Mighty Joe's near-death, the lack of help available to me, a new school year, and now a cold for both me and Mighty Joe, I'm not sure what the Lord is teaching me.

But this I know: The Lord loves those whom He chastens. I'm feeling very, very loved.

amy said...

I'm feeling all loved-up too, kenj. That is, if getting smacked around a little is love ;)

I wanted to add lame excuse #12:

But, I don't really have the time to defend myself. I'm busy getting to know, and coaching my children in getting to know, the 19 new classroom teachers my they now have. This doesn't even include 3 different special ed department staffs.

Jeff said...

I'm laughing at the unintended consequences of my list. :)