I'll keep this post brief, because what I really want you to read is this beautiful little meditation by John Piper that I encountered today and that has encouraged me to have a back-and-forth with the high school group this Wednesday about anxiety. Probably no better time to talk about this than the first week or two of school!
What I would like to hear from you (if you are an adult, even a college student-aged adult) in a little swirl of comments in the next couple of days is what causes you to be anxious or worrisome. You can paint in broad strokes. I don't need details. I just think it will be an interesting part of the Wednesday conversation to compare "teen" worries and "adult" worries; they may be more closely related than we know!
God Keeps Leading
11 years ago
11 comments:
Me Worry ! I guess we all worry about something. For me it would have to be about getting a very high $$$$ job out the door on a given due date. No pressure...but it has to be done.
I worry about failing my kids, just about every day.
I worry about work, with the economy the way it is I'm never sure if I'll have a job next month.
I worry about school. Not as much as difficulties as it is time. Balancing work and school is very difficult.
I worry about acceptance in everything. Am I ever good enough? Do I meet up to peoples expectations? Does my boss think I'm doing a good job?
Jason, I just wrote a blog entry on this very thing, measuring up, on my own blog. Take a look if you want, www.theologyandpancakes.blogspot.com (there's a link on the right side of the TFH blog).
Let's see, I think my worries are usually about our kids. How and what they are doing in all aspects of life, safety etc.
Rick has helped me calm down a lot over the past almost 5 years of knowing him, I use to fret over little stuff that would usually work itself out...so in essence it was truly unneccessary.
Of course all worry is unneccessary, but I think we all do it to some extent. I find that I worry less about what or how people think of me now that I'm older and embracing who and how God made me.
As long as respect, manners and common courtesy are in place, the more you are comfortable with who you are both inside and out, the less worry you'll have of fitting in or people liking you etc.
Lets see....What do i worry about...
Being right with God,
My job,
getting to work on time,
my wife and marriage,
the economy,
skyrocketing prices,
large crowds,
Our next president,
eating right,
sleeping enough,
crazy drivers,
dollars in the bank....
yes, that about covers it.
I totally identify with Amy's concerns. I worry about a lot of things but if I had to narrow it down to the one thing that gives me the most anxiety it would probably be JJ.
I worry if I'm being all that he needs, if he is leading as full a life as he can. I worry about his health, both physical and mental. And I sometimes lose sleep wondering what would happen to him if I wasn't able to take care of him.
Last week...not much. This week...lots.
1-always trusting my kids to God (not their spirituality, just everything else - happiness)
2-my future
3-finances
4-friends in the throes of major life decisions
5-my spiritual transformation
6-the weather (it is so gray here again)
Now, how do I deal with the worries? I try to keep reminding myself of the assurance of Julian or Norwich that GOD IS GOOD.
Worry is no stranger to me boy howdy.
I worry about...
how people perceive me and my words,
making decisions based on what God wants or what I want or what fear dictates,
$$$$,
being the best parent I can be,
living like Christ inside the walls of my home where it seems easier to let my sin hang out for everyone to see,
being the best wife I can be,
the futures of my children and choices they will make,
if my kids truly know God deep down yet or if it's just surface because they have grown up in the church environment,
and I worry about worrying too much...
My " adult" worries possibly are similar to those of the younger crowd at our church. Let's see:
- my job(getting everything done in time and getting all the requirements done also in time!)--kind of like being at school:)
-my friend's problems(lack of work, finances)
-people I know who aren't yet believers, especially relatives of my friends/family
- bad stuff I imagine could happen(which usually never does)
Thank you to all who responded. We had an excellent KaBoom! gathering, kicking off the season with this apropos topic in the early days of the school year. Your comments made them understand that there are more connections between you and them than they might have thought. And some of you just might be receiving their prayers for you today!
Post a Comment