Thursday, October 23, 2008

On the Road

I am away this week, working with the Links Players staff and board down near Palm Springs. The weather is warm (mid-90s), for those who like to know about that kind of stuff.

We have many questions on the table with the ministry, after a year of excellent momentum with regard to the fellowships that have blossomed in local settings around the country. But as in so many other areas of our economy, finances aren't keeping up. So it was great to hear Jeffrey Cranford (our president, who has also taught at TFH a couple of times) speak of the unshakable kingdom to a group of about 30 men gathered for a Bible study in one of the country clubs here this morning. So much shaking going on in the world, so little shaking going on with God...can I get a witness?

Early Sunday morning, my dear friend Dereck Wong (our Links Players region director in the Southwest) and I will head out to Phoenix. Our first item on the agenda will be to visit a church in Gilbert. I don't get to visit other churches too often, so this should be good. The church is part of the Sovereign Grace consortium, which is the one group of churches in the country that is charismatic reformed in its theology (like us!). I'm looking forward to seeing them in action. Of course, I'll get to spend some time with Carson, too, which will be great. There will also be meetings on Sunday and Monday with some others who are kicking off Links Fellowships in their areas. Good stuff!

Over the past two years, I will have missed just four Saturdays with TFH, so I don't get away much, which is fine with me. I like being there! But opportunities like this week are important as well, allowing me to hear and see what God is doing elsewhere through His people. (His people. I hope that term resonates with you. In Christ, we are the people of the One Great God. Not His pets, not His robots—His people. We live and breathe as His. What a wonder, don't you think?)

Love on Chris while I am gone. He carries a lot of weight when he's on his own for a Saturday night. Pray for peace in and around his home the next couple of days; being in synch with your family really helps when you're on call to carry God's Word.

1 comment:

crispy said...

On the road again
Just can't wait to get on the road again
The life I love is makin' music with my friends
And I can't wait to get on the road again
On the road again
Goin' places that I've never been
Seein' things that I may never see again,
And I can't wait to get on the road again.

On the road again
Like a band of gypsies we go down the highway
We're the best of friends
Insisting that the world be turnin' our way
And our way
Is on the road again
Just can't wait to get on the road again
The life I love is makin' music with my friends
And I can't wait to get on the road again